Arte Description and History
Big Bang usually consists of a single, massive burst of energy, commonly dealing Light-element damage to a large area of the battlefield. This spell first appears in the PlayStation version of Tales of Destiny, where it is one of the few spells only available through equipping "Aura Discs". In Tales of Phantasia, it used by Arche Klein as an advanced-tier Light-elemental spell that is learned very late into the game. Unlike the frequent use of Arche's novice and intermediate rank spells in several games, Big Bang was one of many spells of the advanced tier that would not be reused until much later in the history of the series, including other powerful spells such as Rock Mountain and Tempest. Eventually, Big Bang was carried over into Tales of Legendia, as a Fire-elemental spell that can be learned by Will Raynard. It possesses an animation similar to his Extension, in which a small cloud of fire assaults the enemy and forces knockdown. Will's version of Big Bang is considered to be the most inferior of all iterations of this spell throughout the series due to the very small area of effect that damages only the targeted enemy and any others that are nearby.
In Tales of the Abyss, this spell was upgraded to a mystic arte, complete with extended flashy effects and an anime-style cut-in image, as well as used by three bosses during several battles throughout the game. Arietta uses Big Bang as her primary mystic arte, available to her as early as the first battle with her at Choral Castle, if the game is set to "Hard" difficulty or higher. In the Japanese version of the game, this is the only mystic arte that can be used by Gelda Nebilim. The North American release of the game adds several new mystic artes to her current abilities, but maintains Big Bang as one of the more frequently triggered attacks of this level. Big Bang also appears as a Divine Skill, used by Philia Felice during the cameo battle at the coliseum in Baticul. All versions of Big Bang in this game deal damage to all the playable characters on the field but cannot bring down their HP below 1.
Big Bang returns as a traditional spell in the PlayStation 2 remake of Tales of Destiny, appended to Philia Felice's movelist to keep consistency with her appearance in Tales of the Abyss as well as included in her coliseum appearance in the PlayStation Portable port of Tales of Destiny 2. The spell shrouds the entire field in a celestial wonder before dealing repeated hits of extensive damage, though it is actually dodgeable in Tales of Destiny 2. It appears again in Tales of Innocence, also as a normal spell that can be obtained by Ange Serena if she has enough mastery in Holy Lance.
In Tales of Vesperia, Big Bang is used once again as a mystic arte, available to the final two forms of the final boss. Like in Tales of the Abyss, it does damage to all the playable characters on the field, but cannot bring down their HP below 1. In the PlayStation 3 version of the game, it is capable of killing party members on "Hard" difficulty and above.
Ki's use of it in Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon and Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 may be a reference a similarly named spell in The Return of Ishtar called "Big Burn", which is her strongest Attack spell.
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX / iOS) + Full Voice + Cross Edition - Arche Klein (Big Bang)
- Tales of Destiny (PSX) - Swordian Clemente, Druaga, "Destroyer" Aura Disc (Big Bang)
- Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut - Philia Felice
- Tales of Destiny 2 (PSP) - Philia
- Tales of Legendia - Will Raynard, Dark Vaclav (Big Bang)
- Tales of the Abyss - Arietta, Nebilim, Philia Philis (Big Bang)
- Tales of Innocence - Ange Serena
- Tales of Vesperia - Duke (Big Bang)
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon - Ki costume, Norn, Druaga, Planet
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X - Magical Girl costume, Witch costume, High Witch costume, Great Mage costume, Alchemist costume, Arche Klein, Dhaos
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - Enchanter costume, Enchantress costume, Arche Klein
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Ki costume, Druaga costume, Arche Klein, Druaga
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Mage class, Arche Klein (Big Bang)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Mage class, Arche Klein, Philia Felice
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Mage class, Arche Klein, Philia Felice
- Tales of VS. - Arche Klein
- Tales of Link - Arche Klein, Dhaos (Big Bang)
- Tales of Asteria - Arche Klein
- Tales of the Rays - Arche Klein (Big Bang); Cutscene: Mercuria
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX) (Absolute Zero): Big Bang
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (Kajitani-Eizan): Big Bang
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Legendia
Localized Description: "High: Call forth the biggest explosion of all time. ATR.: Fire."
Localized Quote: "Primordial illumination, the fount of life for all things, roar forth this once and show us thy power... Big Bang!"
Tales of the Abyss
Japanese Quote: 始まりの時を再び刻め・・・倒れて！ ビッグバン！
Romanized Quote: Hajimari no toki o futatabi kizame... Taorete! Biggu Ban!
Translated Quote: "The time of origin carves once again... Collapse! Big Bang!"
Localized Quote: "Feel the first beats of time... Fall! Big Bang!"
Japanese Quote: ふ、ふふふふふ・・・死ぬかもね。
Romanized Quote: Fu, fufufufufu...Shinu kamo ne.
Translated Quote: "Heh, hehehehehe... You might die."
Localized Quote: "Ha ha ha! You just might die!"
User: Philia Philis
Japanese Quote: いきますよ！ おいたが過ぎますよ！
Romanized Quote: Ikimasu yo! Oita ga sugimasu yo!
Translated Quote: "Here I go! Mischief passes!"
Localized Quote: "Enough of this foolishness! Take your punishment! Begone!"
Tales of Destiny (PS2)
Translated Quote: "Assist me, Clemente! Big Bang!"
Tales of Vesperia
Japanese Quote: "始まりの時を再び刻め・・・ビッグバン！"
Romanized Quote: Hajimari no toki o futatabi kizame... Biggu Ban!
Alternate Romanized Quote: Hajimari no toki o futatabi kizame... Kieru!
Localized Quote: "Toll the beginning of time! Big Bang!"
Alternate Quote: "Toll the beginning of time! Begone!"
Tales of VS.
Japanese Quote: とっておき見せちゃうよ☆ 出でよ! 創世の輝き! ビッグバン!!
Romanized Quote: Totteoki dasechauyo! Ideyo! Sousei no kagayaki! Bigguban!!
Tales of the Rays
Localized Description: "[Mirrage Arte] Show foes the moment of creation with a mana-infused spell."