- 1 Arte Description and History
- 2 Appearances
- 3 Fan-Translated Names
- 4 In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
- 5 References
Arte Description and History
The spell first appears in Tales of Destiny, where a demon is summoned in the sky, wielding a javelin imbued with darkness. The demon throws the javelin into the ground, striking the target below and creating a small explosion upon contact. Later appearances of this spell removed the demon from the spell's animation, but the PlayStation 2 remake of Tales of Destiny has Leon Magnus jump high into the air to throw a spear in the same fashion, a reference to the original game.
Demon's Lance appears with radically different animations in only a few other games. In Tales of Legendia, this spell summons a massive sword that pierces into the ground where the target stands. The sword itself has a bladed hilt, reminiscent of a double-bladed axe. In Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology, its sequel, and Tales of the Rays, the spell is redesigned to resemble a Dark-elemental Holy Lance, mirroring the role that Bloody Lance has in Tales of Symphonia. Both Bloody Lance and Demon's Lance are unrelated spells.
In Tales of Vesperia, the spell can be learned by using Spread Zero with the "Alembic" skill equipped. Rita Mordio's incantation for Demon's Lance is oddly longer than the actual casting time, so the full incantation cannot be heard without equipping the "Heavy Magic" skill to increase the length of her casting time. In Tales of Hearts, this spell is a combination arte that is activated by summoning either Hisui Hearts or Kunzite into battle using the Connect Command panel and controlling the opposite character to use both Stream Arrow and Dead Soul at the same time.
Demon's Lance attains mystic arte status when used by Nachtigal I. Fenn in Tales of Xillia and Tales of Xillia 2. Nachtigal begins the arte with his spear charged with energy from his Tyrant's Spear arcane arte. He rises into the air and spins his weapon, causing it to glow energy more brightly. Nachtigal then hurls it at the ground, causing it to explode violently.
- Tales of Destiny (PSX) - Swordian Chaltier, "Demon Arrow" Aura Disc, Kronos, False Ishtar, Balrog, DY Slime (Demon's Lance)
- Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut - Leon Magnus
- Tales of Destiny 2 (PSP) - Leon
- Tales of Legendia - Grune, Rabid Giet, Schwartz, Mindflayer, Dullahan (Demon Lance)
- Tales of Innocence R - Ricardo Soldato, Kongwai Tao, Thitose, Gardle, Poltergeist, Bonehead
- Tales of Vesperia - Rita Mordio, July (Demon's Lance)
- Tales of Hearts - Combination Arte: Hisui Hearts + Kunzite
- Tales of Hearts R - Beryl Benito, Kunzite, Incarose, Archdeus, Bonehead, Pining Tritoma, Crochet, Gardenia Tritoma, Macchia Cinque, Macchia Sei, Macchia Quattro, Dark Slime, Gargouille, Cauchemar, Ombre (Demon's Lance)
- Tales of Xillia - Nachtigal (Demon's Lance)
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Nachtigal (Demon's Lance)
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - Demonic Swordsman costume, Depraved Monk costume, Champion costume
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Ninja costume, Leon Magnus
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Leon Magnus, Aurora (Demon's Lance)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Leon Magnus
- Tales of VS. - Leon Magnus, Rita Mordio
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Mage class, Leon Magnus, Rita Mordio
- Tales of the World: Tactics Union - Leon Magnus, Rita Mordio
- Tales of the World: Reve Unitia - Nahato, Rita Mordio, Leon Magnus
- Tales of Link - Leon Magnus (Demon's Lance)
- Tales of Asteria - Hugo Gilchrist, Kronos
- Tales of the Rays - Leon Magnus, Kongwai Tao (Demon's Lance), Grune, Ricardo Soldato
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (Kajitani-Eizan): ?
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (Kajitani-Eizan): Demon's Lance
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut
Japanese Quote: 覚悟はできたか？ デモンズランス！
Romanized Quote: Kakugo wa dekitaka? Demonzuransu!
Translated Quote: "Are you ready? Demon's Lance!"
Tales of Legendia
Localized Description: "High: Pierce the enemy with a spear of darkness. ATR.: Curse."
Tales of Vesperia
Localized Description: "Altered Arte: Unleash a lance of evil at full speed at the enemy."
Japanese Quote: 黒曜の輝き、快速の槍となり、敵を討つ！デモンズランス！
Romanized Quote: Kokuyou no kagayaki, kaisoku no yari to nari, teki wo utsu! Demonzuransu!
Localized Quote: "O obsidian flash, be as a raging spear to run my enemies through... Demon's Lance!"
Shortened Casting Duration:
Japanese Quote: 避けられないわよ！デモンズランス！
Romanized Quote: Sakerarenaiwayo! Demonzuransu!
Localized Quote: "You can't get away! Demon's Lance!"
Tales of Xillia
Japanese Quote: ふん！ 天上天下唯我独尊！ デモンズランス！！
Romanized Quote: Fun! Tenjoutenge yuigadokuson! Demonzuransu!!
Translated Quote: "Hmph! Throughout heaven and earth this is my glory! Demon's Lance!!"
Localized Quote: "Oh! Heaven nor earth shall contain me! Demon's Lance!!"
Tales of Xillia 2
Japanese Quote: 戯れもここまでだ！天上天下万里一空！デモンズランス！！
Romanized Quote: Tawamure mo kokomade da! Tenjoutenge banriikkuu! Demonzuransu!!
Translated Quote: "The fun time is over here! Throughout heaven and earth a great one sky! Demon's Lance!!"
Localized Quote: "Let us end this charade! All shall bend to my will! Demon's Lance!!"
Tales of the Rays
Japanese Description: 悪魔の力を持つ槍を召喚し敵を無慈悲に貫く術