Demon Attack (魔人闇 Marian?, "Demon Person Darkness") is a Dark-elemental arte most commonly associated with Leon Magnus. The Japanese name involves a pun due to alternative kanji readings, referencing the caretaker of Leon, Marian Fustel, of whom he is quite fond.
Arte Description and History
When this arte is used, Leon gathers energy in his sword before thrusting forward at the enemy, engulfing his blade with dark energy to extend its range. In the original Tales of Destiny, this is Leon's strongest arte, as well as the only arte that can be chained after any of his other artes. It is featured as his signature attack in Tales of Eternia as the final part of Meredy's Destiny summon.
In PlayStation 3 and Definitive Edition versions of Tales of Vesperia, this arte appears for the first time as used by someone other than Leon, as a cameo costume arte. Yuri Lowell must equip his Judas costume title to be able to use the arte through Wolf Strike, but after 50 uses, it is available to Yuri as a separate arte that does not require the title. Notably, Judas almost never uses the arte himself while donning this particular persona, as it is absent from his movelist in any game except the crossover Namco x Capcom, but the arte Majin Messatsuen is derived from Demon Attack. In Tales of Graces, Frederic Barnes performs a similar attack when fought in the Zhonecage.
The Japanese naming scheme is unique to this arte and is both explored and parodied in the Peach Gummy episode of Viva - Tales Of!. Judas says the purpose of a person's most powerful attack is to protect the one that is most important to them; by giving this arte as an example, it shows that Marian is the most important person to Leon. The other members of the cast proceed to take it to parodic heights by assigning first names and then phrases with kanji whose pronunciations match the original but whose meanings are excessively brutal and dramatic.
- Tales of Destiny (PSX) - Leon Magnus (Demon Attack)
- Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut - Leon Magnus
- Tales of Eternia - Destiny Summon: Leon Magnus
- Tales of Destiny 2 (PSP) - Leon
- Tales of Vesperia (PS3) + Definitive Edition - Yuri Lowell (Demon Attack)
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - Leon Magnus
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Leon Magnus
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Leon Magnus (Demon Attack)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Leon Magnus
- Tales of VS. - Leon Magnus
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Leon Magnus
- Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave - Leon Magnus
- Tales of the World: Tactics Union - Leon Magnus
- Tales of the World: Reve Unitia - Leon Magnus
- Tales of Asteria - Leon Magnus, Yuri Lowell
- Tales of the Rays - Leon Magnus (Demon Attack)
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Destiny (PSX)
Japanese Description: 念を込めた一撃突き。敵はダメージと共に気絶する
Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut
Japanese Description: 闇の力を集めて前方に突き出す術剣技。
Japanese Quote: 邪魔だ！
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Localized Description: "Arcane: Focus pure darkness and thrust it forward."
Tales of Vesperia
Japanese Description: 前方に闇の閃光を発する
Localized Description: "Altered Arte: A title skill involving a dark thrust technique used by a well-travelled swordsman who finally returned home."
Tales of the Rays
Japanese Description: 闇の力を凝縮させ、一気に解放させ敵に放つ