- 1 Arte Description and History
- 2 Appearances
- 3 Fan-Translated Names
- 4 In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
- 5 References
Arte Description and History
With Distortion Blade, Cress slashes with his sword in the air, forming a blue dome of energy around himself. As he lands, his sword takes on the appearance of a massive blade of light with considerably extended range, allowing him to slam it and any enemies in his path back down into the ground. Despite the dome of energy effect, the damage affects only enemies hit by the extended blade in front of him; the dome does no additional damage. The dome effect does not appear in the Game Boy Advance release of the game.
Distortion Blade is learned after receiving the Vorpal Sword from the Fen Beast, the guardian of the Temple of Fenrir. It is represented as one of Cress's space-time artes, one of several artes that provide the ability to alter and distort the bounds of time and space. Its range allows Cress to deal damage to enemies from a safe distance; however, the Super Famicom version forces him to use it from a distance and then run toward the target before using it.
In Tales of Eternia, Cress has access to this attack, localized as Dimensional Strike. He also has the mystic arte Eternal Blade, used as a counter to Reid Hershel's Dragon Demon Chaos, which involves a combination of three of Cress's space-time artes, finishing with the down-burst of Dimensional Strike. In the Japanese version, the voice that is associated with this attack says "Jigenzan", which is the Japanese name for this arte.
In the PlayStation 3 and Definitive Edition versions of Tales of Vesperia, a Cress costume is available to Flynn Scifo. As an added bonus, Flynn can learn Distortion Blade while using Severing Blade if the costume is equipped, and after enough uses, this arte becomes a separate arte, meaning the costume is no longer necessary to use this arte. Tales of Xillia 2 is the first time this arte is used without a connection to Cress, where it is a linked arte between Ludger Will Kresnik and Muzét. Muzét uses her dominion over dimensions to enhance Ludger's sledgehammer with a light blade. Ludger then uses that blade to perform a series of slashes that ends in Cress's traditional downward strike and dome of energy. On the other hand, Cress's version in this game is enhanced to show a tearing of dimensions, as well as gaining the ability to inflict "Time Stop", similarly to the Time Stop and Stop Flow artes. In Tales of the Rays, this arte is Light- and Dark-elemental.
- Tales of Phantasia (SFC) - Cress Albane
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX / iOS) + Full Voice Edition + Cross Edition - Cress Albane (Distortion Blade)
- Tales of Phantasia (GBA) + Mobile - Cress Albane (Distortion Blade)
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X - Cress Albane
- Tales of Eternia - Cress Albane (Dimensional Strike)
- Tales of Vesperia (PS3) + Definitive Edition - Flynn Scifo (Distortion Blade)
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Cress (Distortion Blade); Linked Arte: Ludger Will Kresnik + Muzét (Distortion Blade)
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - Cress Albane
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Cress Albane
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Cress Albane
- Tales of VS. - Cress Albane
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Cress Albane
- Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave - Cress Albane
- Tales of the World: Reve Unitia - Cress Albane
- Tales of Link - Cutscene: Cress Albane (Distortion Blade)
- Tales of Asteria - Cress Albane
- Tales of the Rays - Cress Albane (Distortion Blade), Mithos Yggdrasill
- Brave Frontier - Cress Albane (Distortion Blade)
- Valkyrie Anatomia: The Origin - Cress Albane
- Another Eden: The Cat Beyond Time and Space - Cress Albane (Distortion Blade)
- Tales of Phantasia (SFC) (DeJap Translations): Soul Edge
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX) (Absolute Zero): Jigenzan
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (Kajitani-Eizan): Distortion Blade
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Phantasia (SFC)
Tales of Phantasia (GBA)
Localized Description: "One of the space-time attacks. Divide and conquer enemies by distorting space-time."
Tales of Vesperia (PS3) + Definitive Edition
Localized Description: "Altered Arte: A title skill where you unleash a flaming strike that was used by a heroic swordsman."
Tales of the Rays
User: Cress Albane
Japanese Description: 広範囲の敵を巻き込む時空剣技
User: Mithos Yggdrasill
- Tales Series Translation FAQ by KusanagiLord02 GameFAQs (2006-11-05) Retrieved on 2008-07-24.
- Tales of Phantasia (SNES) FAQ/Walkthrough Part 2/2 by JPuga GameFAQs (2001) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- Tales of Phantasia (GBA) FAQ/Walkthrough by sonicfreak77 GameFAQs (2007) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.