Arte Description and History
Two different but related versions of this arte exist, sharing mostly similar functions and Japanese names. The two versions differ with only the third kanji character: "kick" (蹴?) is used mostly by characters that have a fighting style that matches the Monk abilities, and "overlap" (襲?) is used exclusively by Anise Tatlin from Tales of the Abyss, Sophie from Tales of Graces and Law from Tales of Arise.
The arte enables the user to jump above the enemy before rapidly shooting into the ground with powerful force, usually with the knee or foot first. This creates a short-range shock wave in the air, while setting the character up to continue the combo with a ground-based arte. The initial jump can be canceled if the user is already in the air when they activate it, or if the user links to it from any anti-air attack.
In Tales of the Abyss, similarly to the original Eagle Dive, the arte allows Anise to command Tokunaga to jump into the air before dropping down to create the same short-ranged shock wave. However, unlike the original arte, Anise's version cannot be used in the air, nor can she have its initial jump canceled. In this game, the arte can be used within a complete Water or Dark FOF Circle to transform it into Frigid Raptor.
Appearances (Eagle Dive [鷹爪蹴撃])
- Tales of Eternia - Farah Oersted (Eagle Dive)
- Tales of Symphonia - Regal Bryant (Eagle Dive)
- Tales of Eternia Online - Fighter class
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Regal Bryant (Eagle Dive)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Monk class, Farah Oersted
- Tales of VS. - Farah Oersted
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Monk class, Farah Oersted
- Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave - Farah Oersted
- Tales of Asteria - Farah Oersted, Regal Bryant
- Tales of the Rays - Farah Oersted (Eagle Dive)
Appearances (Eagle Dive [鷹爪襲撃])
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X - Grappler costume
- Tales of Symphonia - Farah Oersted (Eagle Dive)
- Tales of the Abyss - Anise Tatlin (Eagle Dive)
- Tales of Graces - Sophie (Eagle Dive)
- Tales of Arise - Law (Eagle Dive)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Anise Tatlin
- Tales of VS. - Anise Tatlin
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Anise Tatlin, Sophie
- Tales of Asteria - Anise Tatlin
- Tales of the Rays - Anise Tatlin
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Eternia
Localized Description: "Rise far above and dive into the enemy with a destructive force."
Tales of Symphonia
Japanese Description: 空中から地上へ急降下攻撃を行う空中専用技 地上技、対空技に繋がる
Localized Description: "Lv. 1 Sp. Attack: a rapid descent that is linkable to ground or anti-air attacks."
Tales of the Abyss
Japanese Description: 空中から地上へ、急降下攻撃を行う特技。
Tales of Graces
Japanese Description: 空中から襲い掛かる鷹の爪。
Localized Description: "An attack followed by a diving strike with hawk-like claws."
Alternate Japanese Quote (ƒ): 鷹の爪！
Alternate Localized Quote: "Rend!"
Tales of the Rays
Japanese Description: 空中から垂直落下による急襲
Tales of Arise
Localized Description: "A flurry of rapid diving kicks."
- Tales Series Translation FAQ by KusanagiLord02 GameFAQs (2006-11-05) Retrieved on 2008-07-24.
- YouTube subtitles
- Japanese Description:
Tales of Destiny II (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough Part 1/2 by Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.
- Tales of Symphonia (GC) Technique FAQ by DarthMarth GameFAQs (2005) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.