Fiery Beast (獅吼爆炎陣 Shikou Bakuenjin?, "Lion Roar Explode Flame Formation" / "Lion Howl Bursting Flame Array") and Thunder Beast (獅吼爆雷陣 Shikou Bakuraijin?, "Lion Roar Explode Thunder Formation" / "Lion Howl Bursting Thunder Array") are Fire- and Lightning-elemental artes that are based on the Beast arte.
- 1 Arte Description and History
- 2 Appearances (Fiery Beast)
- 3 Appearances (Thunder Beast)
- 4 Fan-Translated Names
- 5 In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
- 6 References
Arte Description and History
When either arte is used, the user slams the target, as if initiating a Beast attack. Then, the user follows with a large and explosive blast of fire or lightning, knocking down all enemies within the affected area.
Fiery Beast, localized as Hellfire, first appeared in the original Tales of Destiny as one of Stahn Aileron's Sacred Skills, combining Force and Flare Tornado. Stahn would use this arte in his appearance in Meredy's Destiny summon in Tales of Eternia, though it remains unnamed in all releases following the original Japanese PlayStation version. It appeared next in Tales of Symphonia, as a Compound Special Attack that combines the Beast arte or its higher-tier upgrades with the Fire-elemental intermediate or advanced tier spells of the game.
Thunder Beast is the lightning form of this arte, and was introduced as one of Lilith Aileron's artes for the coliseum cameo battle in the Tales of Phantasia remake versions for the PlayStation, PlayStation Portable, and iOS. She did not have this arte in her dummied character data from the original Tales of Destiny, nor does she have the arte in the remake versions of this game. In Tales of the Abyss, Thunder Beast can be activated by using Beast within a complete Wind or Light FOF Circle. Nebilim, however, can use it as both an arcane arte and an FOF Change.
When Fiery Beast appeared in Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology and Tales of Xillia 2, it was localized as "Thunder Beast", despite the use of the original kanji characters to represent the Fire element.
Appearances (Fiery Beast)
- Tales of Destiny (PSX) - Stahn Aileron (Hellfire)
- Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut - Stahn Aileron, Dymlos
- Tales of Eternia - Destiny: Stahn Aileron
- Tales of Symphonia - Compound Special Attack: Lloyd Irving + Genis Sage, Lloyd Irving + Kratos Aurion, Lloyd Irving + Zelos Wilder (Fiery Beast)
- Tales of Vesperia (PS3) + Definitive Edition - Clint (Fiery Beast)
- Tales of Hearts - Combination Arte: Kor Meteor + Kohaku Hearts
- Tales of Graces ƒ - Richard (Fiery Beast)
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Stahn (Thunder Beast)
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Stahn Aileron
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Stahn Aileron (Thunder Beast)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Stahn Aileron
- Tales of VS. - Stahn Aileron
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Stahn Aileron
- Tales of Link - Richard (Fiery Beast)
- Tales of Asteria - Stahn Aileron, Richard
- Tales of the Rays - Stahn Aileron
Appearances (Thunder Beast)
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX / iOS) + Full Voice Edition + Cross Edition - Lilith Aileron
- Tales of the Abyss - Guy Cecil, Nebilim (Thunder Beast)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Guy Cecil
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Guy Cecil
- Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave - Guy Cecil
- Tales of Asteria - Lilith Aileron, Guy Cecil
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (Kajitani-Eizan): Fiery Beast
- Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut (Life Bottle Productions): Fiery Beast
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Destiny (PSX)
Japanese Descirption: 獅子戦吼で敵を一カ所にまとめ、マグマで焼き払う
Localized Description: "Groups the enemy together with Force and burns them with bursts of lava."
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3
Translated Description (Kajitani-Eizan): "Beast with rising fireballs."
Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut
Japanese Description: 爆炎の気を放出、周囲を焼き尽くす術剣技。
Translated Description (Life Bottle Productions): "Release a burst of fiery energy, burning your surroundings."
Tales of the Abyss
Japanese Description: 獅子戦吼で敵を足止めし、雷の衝撃によってダメージを与える技。
Localized Description: "Arte: Stop the enemy with a lion's battle cry, then attack with lightning"
User: Guy Cecil
Japanese Quote: 紫電の光！獅吼爆雷陣！！
Localized Quote: "Brilliant Lightning! Thunder Beast!"
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Localized Description: "Arcane: Unleash searing flames to incinerate all around."
Japanese Quote: 燃えつきろ！
Localized Quote: "Die in flames!"
Tales of Vesperia (PS3) + Definitive Edition
Localized Quote: "Hunter Beast!"
Tales of Graces ƒ
Japanese Description: 炎の獅子の咆哮で吹き飛ばし、爆炎で追撃する。
Alternate Japanese Quote: 吼えろ、爆炎のように！
Alternate Localized Quote: "Howl like fires of hell!"
Tales of the Rays
- Tales Series Translation FAQ by KusanagiLord02 GameFAQs (2006) Retrieved on 2008-03-19.
- Tales of Destiny (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough by GheddonLN GameFAQs (2003) Retrieved on 2008-03-19.