Arte Description and History
The caster creates a portal in front of them, from which multiple shards of ice are launched at the enemy in varying patterns, often invoking fixed linear trajectories or aerial bombardments from varying angles. In its original form in Tales of Eternia, it is nearly impossible to avoid the attack, though due to its linear effect, it suffers from the transition into 3D.
In Tales of Symphonia, Freeze Lancer is a spell that Genis Sage can learn on the "Strike" branch line, with its "Technical" counterpart being Ice Tornado. The spell can also be used by a few major enemies in the game, including Celsius and Seles Wilder. In addition, Genis is required to master this spell along with Grave to learn Absolute, the only advanced Ice-elemental spell in the game.
In Tales of Rebirth, is implemented differently to accommodate the three-line battlefield. When it is cast, five ice shards are shot in a fan-shaped formation from Hilda Rhambling, with each shard launched at incremented angles to her left and right sides. The orientation of the arte's effect spread changes if Hilda is on the near or far line. This spell is derived from a combination of the bases Rock Barrage and Splasher.
Freeze Lancer is introduced as a physical arte in Tales of Innocence, used by Illia Animi. Instead of summoning a portal for the ice shards to appear, she shoots them from her guns as if they were bullets. As a physical attack, it no longer requires any incantation time. This variation reappears in Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2, where Celsius receives this version of Freeze Lancer with Illia, instead of the regular spell used by the others in the same game.
In Tales of Vesperia, the spell as an altered arte learned by Rita Mordio. It is of both Water and Wind elements, like all ice-themed attacks in the game. The spell can be learned by using Splash with the "Gale" and "Chain" abilities equipped.
In Tales of Arise, the caster conjures five icicles around them, from right to left.
- Tales of Eternia - Meredy, Keele Zeibel, Celsius, Hyades, Shizel, Arche, Siren (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Symphonia - Genis Sage, Celsius, Seles, The Neglected, The Fugitive (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Rebirth - Hilda Rhambling, Yuris Eye
- Tales of Legendia - Will Raynard, Cashel, Maurits, Dark Will, Glacier Gaet (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Eternia Online - Arcane Craymel Mage class
- Tales of Innocence - Illia Animi
- Tales of Innocence R - Illia Animi
- Tales of Vesperia - Rita Mordio, Sorrowful Queen of Darkness, Quadra, July (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Xillia - Rowen J. Ilbert, Golden Mage Knight - Conductor (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Rowen J. Ilbert (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Zestiria - Mikleo (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Berseria - Therion Orthus, Basilisk, Dryad, Bacturnian Man, Twisted Priest, Spearman, Fairy, Immortal Staff (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Arise - Shionne Imeris, Rinwell, Kaldinzel, Agony Keeper (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - Priest costume, Priestess costume, Keele Zeibel, Celsius
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Thanatos costume, Wizard costume, Witch costume, Keele Zeibel, Celsius
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Keele Zeibel, Celsius, Illia Animi
- Tales of VS. - Illia Animi, Rita Mordio
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Keele Zeibel, Celsius, Will Raynard, Illia Animi, Rita Mordio
- Tales of Link - Genis Sage, Illia Animi, Rowen J. Ilbert, Mikleo (Freeze Lancer), Meredy, Will Raynard; Skill: Genis Sage (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Asteria - Celsius, Seles Wilder, Illia Animi, Mikleo, Golden Mage Knight - Conductor, Vholran Igniseri
- Tales of the Rays - Keele Zeibel, Rita Mordio, Mikleo (Freeze Lancer), Phillip Reston, Phantom, Celsius, Lambda, Rowen J. Ilbert, Shionne Imeris
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (Kajitani-Eizan): Freeze Lancer
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (Kajitani-Eizan): Freeze Lancer
- Tales of Innocence (Absolute Zero): Freeze Lancer
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Eternia
Japanese Description: 氷の槍を大量に発し、敵を貫く 氷系中級晶霊術。後ろには撃てない
Localized Description: "The enemy is showered with spears of ice. Ice Arte."
Tales of Symphonia
Japanese Description: 対象の敵に向かって氷の槍を無数に放つ 氷系中級魔術
Localized Description: "Ice (mid): Pummel the target with numerous lances of ice."
Tales of Rebirth
Japanese Description: 氷の槍を扇状に打ち出す氷結導術。目標への 命中率は高く、距離次第で複数の敵に当たる。
Tales of Legendia
Japanese Description: 大気中の水分で氷の槍を作り、敵を貫く中級呪文。
Localized Description: "Mid: Unleash spears of ice on the enemy. A. ATR.: Ice"
Tales of Innocence
Japanese Description: 銃を交差して構え、氷槍を撃ち出す奥義
Japanese Quote: 氷の槍よ！フリーズランサー！
Romanized Quote: Koori no yari yo! Furiizuransaa!
Translated Quote (Absolute Zero): "Spears of ice! Freeze Lancer!
Tales of Innocence R
Japanese Description: 氷の魔法弾を連続で撃ち出す奥義
Tales of Vesperia
Japanese Description: 大気中の水分を集中、凍結させ順次に打ち出すスキル変化術
Localized Description: "Altered Arte: Unleash spears of ice on the enemy."
Normal Spellcasting Time:
Japanese Quote: 氷結せし刃、鋭く空を駆け抜ける…フリーズランサー！
Localized Quote: "O frozen blades, fly sharply across the heavens... Freeze Lancer!"
Shortened Spellcasting Time:
Japanese Quote: 鋭く、速く！フリーズランサー！
Romanized Quote: Surudoku, hayaku! Furiizuransaa!
Translated Quote: "Sharply, swiftly! Freeze Lancer!"
Localized Quote: "Sharp and fast! Freeze Lancer!"
Tales of Xillia
Japanese Description: 何本もの凍てつく氷の槍を発射し、敵を貫く精霊術。ボタンを連打する事で、更に氷の槍を発射する。
Localized Description: "Icicles project forth to attack any hostiles. Repeatedly press to launch additional lances."
Japanese Quote: 唸れ氷狼の牙！フリーズランサー！
Romanized Quote: Unare hyourou no kiba! Furiizuransaa!
Translated Quote: "Growl, fangs of the ice wolf! Freeze Lancer!"
Localized Quote: "Fangs of ice, roar forth! Freeze Lancer!"
Tales of Zestiria
Japanese Description: 術者から氷の槍を５本、放射状に放つ。『ツインフロウ』の上位天響術。
Japanese Quote: 鋭き氷、拡散せよ！フリーズランサー！
Romanized Quote: Surudoki koori, kakusan seyo! Furiizuransaa!
Localized Quote: "Fracture, ice! Freeze Lancer!"
Alternate Japanese Quote: 唸れ鋭水！来りて爆ぜよ！
Tales of the Rays
Japanese Description: 前方へ氷槍を多数射出する術
Localized Description: "An arte in which the caster fires numerous ice spears forward."
User: Keele Zeibel
Japanese Quote: 凍てつき氷槍！フリーズランサー！
Japanese Quote: 切り開け！フリーズランサー！
User: Phillip Reston
Japanese Quote: 凍てつき槍よ！フリーズランサー！
Tales of Arise
Localized Description: "An intermediate water arte that fires a series of ice lances."
User: Shionne Imeris
Japanese Quote: 凍てつく氷の槍よ！フリーズランサー！
Localized Quote: "Glacial spear, pierce evil. Freeze Lancer!"
Localized Quote: "Purge malevolence, arctic waterfall! Freeze Lancer!"
- Tales of Destiny II (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough Part 1/2 by Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.
- Tales of Symphonia (GC) Technique FAQ by DarthMarth GameFAQs (2005) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.
- Tales of Rebirth Spell Incantations Taleslations Retrieved on 2017-01-14.
- Tales of Legendia (PS2) Eres Guide by AncientNova GameFAQs (2006) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.