Hurricane Thrust (風神剣 / 風神拳 / 風迅剣 Fuujinken?, "Wind God Sword" / "Wind God Fist" / "Wind Swift Sword") is a Wind-elemental thrusting attack that has appeared in different forms throughout the Tales series.
Arte Description and History
This arte first appeared in the original Tales of Destiny as Garr Kelvin's only ranged attack while equipped with a melee weapon or Swordian. If he equips a bow, he loses the ability to use this arte, along with all of his other melee artes. When this arte is used, Garr thrusts forward to send a projectile force of wind shear at the target, dealing Wind-elemental damage. The remake versions of this arte maintain the same projectile effect, but the arte can be used at any time because Garr can equip both a bow and his Swordian, Igtenos, at the same time. The projectile effect is used by Garr in all of his appearances, but it is not available to any other character in any game.
Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon introduces this arte as an unarmed fist-based thrust of wind, available to Dio after equipping the "Heihachi" costume, a reference to Heihachi Mishima from the Tekken series. Like the arte Thunder Punch, which is the fist-based counterpart of Lightning Blade, this variant is rarely seen in the series. The arte is a nod to a signature technique from the Mishima family's karate-style in Heihachi's home series, also known as Fuujinken (風神拳?), though localized as "Rising Uppercut" within that franchise.
In Tales of Symphonia, Hurricane Thrust is learned after mastering Sonic Thrust while aligned with the "Technical" branch of arte progression, and its "Strike" counterpart is Super Sonic Thrust. When activated, the user thrusts at the enemy with enough power to create a burst of wind when the weapon strikes the enemy, damaging it further. The arte will not continue if the initial thrust misses; the burst of wind will appear only if the attack connects with an enemy.
As it appears in Tales of Rebirth, the arte follows the same effect from Tales of Symphonia as a thrust followed by a burst of wind if it connects with the enemy. However, this arte cannot be learned normally in this game. To use it, Veigue Lungberg requires the "Fuujin no Tamashii" accessory to be equipped in order to convert his Shunrenjin arte to Hurricane Thrust. In Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X, this arte can be extended into Fuujinresshou.
The Hurricane Thrust arte has appeared with three slightly different sets of kanji when written in Japanese. The arte appears as Fuujinken (風神剣?, "Wind God Sword") in all versions of Tales of Destiny, Tales of Rebirth, and Tales of Graces, whereas it appears as Fuujinken (風迅剣?, "Wind Swift Sword") in Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Innocence, and Tales of Berseria. Fuujinken (風神拳?, "Wind God Fist") is used exclusively in Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon. All forms are pronounced the same way, and there does not appear to be any correlation between the effect and the kanji used, aside from the lack of a weapon for the fist variant. A user's name for the arte follows them in their appearances in Escort Titles as well.
Appearances (Hurricane Thrust [風神剣])
- Tales of Destiny (PSX) - Garr Kelvin (Wind Blade)
- Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut - Garr Kelvin
- Tales of Rebirth - Veigue Lungberg
- Tales of Graces - Richard (Hurricane Thrust)
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - Garr Kelvin
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Garr Kelvin
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Garr Kelvin
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Garr Kelvin
Appearances (Fuujinken [風神拳])
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon - "Heihachi" costume
Appearances (Hurricane Thrust [風迅剣])
- Tales of Symphonia - Lloyd Irving, Kratos Aurion, Zelos Wilder (Hurricane Thrust)
- Tales of Innocence - Spada Belforma
- Tales of Berseria - Rokurou Rangetsu (Hurricane Thrust)
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X - Knight costume
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Magic Knight class (Hurricane Thrust)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Zelos Wilder
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Zelos Wilder
- Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave - Spada Belforma
Hurricane Thrust [風神剣])
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Destiny (PSX)
Localized Description: "A projectile attack created by air pressure from a sword thrust."
Tales of Symphonia
Localized Description: "Lv. 2 Sp. Attack: make the enemy float with a powerful thrust."
Tales of Berseria
Localized Description: "Swiftly closes in on the foe with a twisting thrust that creates a vacuum."
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Localized Description: "Master: A powerful thrust creates a blast of wind that smashes an enemy."
- ↑ Tales Series Translation FAQ by KusanagiLord02 GameFAQs (2006) Retrieved on 2008-03-16.
- ↑ Tales of Destiny (PS2) Technique FAQ by KusanagiLord02 GameFAQs (2007) Retrieved on 2008-03-16.
- ↑ Tales of Rebirth (PS2) Level-Up/Ougi Guide by jygting GameFAQs (2007) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Destiny (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough by CMoriarty / Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Symphonia (GC) Technique FAQ by DarthMarth GameFAQs (2005) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology: Character/Class FAQ by Lynkiko GameFAQS (2007) Retrieved on 2012-10-31.