Hurricane Thrust (風神剣 / 風迅剣 Fuujinken?, "Wind God Sword" / "Wind Swift Sword"), originally localized as Wind Blade, is a Wind-elemental thrusting attack that has appeared in different forms throughout the Tales series.
Arte Description and History
This arte first appeared in the original Tales of Destiny as Garr Kelvin's only ranged attack while equipped with a melee weapon or Swordian. If he equips a bow, he loses the ability to use this arte, along with all of his other melee artes. When this arte is used, Garr thrusts forward to send a projectile force of wind shear at the target, dealing Wind-elemental damage. The remake versions of this arte maintain the same projectile effect, but the arte can be used at any time because Garr can equip both a bow and his Swordian, Igtenos, at the same time. The projectile effect is used by Garr in all of his appearances, but it is not available to any other character in any game.
Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon introduces this arte as an unarmed fist-based thrust of wind, available to Dio after equipping the "Heihachi" costume, a reference to Heihachi Mishima from the Tekken series. Like the arte Thunder Punch, which is the fist-based counterpart of Lightning Blade, this variant is rarely seen in the series. The arte is a nod to a signature technique from the Mishima family's karate-style in Heihachi's home series, also known as Fuujinken (風神拳?), though previously localized as "Rising Uppercut" within that franchise. The spelling of the "fist" variant as Fuujinken (風神拳?, "Wind God Fist") is conjectural due to Narikiri Dungeon only using the hiragana spelling, though it based on the arte's origin. In Tales of Arise, Phantom Zephyr uses an unarmed variant where he jumps off the ground with immense force, creating a spiral of Wind astral energy. This variant is localized as Hurricane Punch, though the Japanese spelling remains conjectural.
In Tales of Symphonia, Hurricane Thrust is learned after mastering Sonic Thrust while aligned with the "Technical" branch of arte progression, and its "Strike" counterpart is Super Sonic Thrust. When activated, the user thrusts at the enemy with enough power to create a burst of wind when the weapon strikes the enemy, damaging it further. The arte will not continue if the initial thrust misses; the burst of wind will appear only if the attack connects with an enemy.
As it appears in Tales of Rebirth, the arte follows the same effect from Tales of Symphonia as a thrust followed by a burst of wind if it connects with the enemy. However, this arte cannot be learned normally in this game. To use it, Veigue Lungberg requires the "Fuujin no Tamashii" accessory to be equipped in order to convert his Shunrenjin arte to Fuujinken. In Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X, this arte can be extended into Fuujinresshou.
The Hurricane Thrust arte has appeared with two slightly different sets of kanji when written in Japanese. The arte appears as Fuujinken (風神剣?, "Wind God Sword") in all versions of Tales of Destiny, Tales of Rebirth, and Tales of Graces, whereas it appears as Fuujinken (風迅剣?, "Wind Swift Sword") in Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Innocence, and Tales of Berseria. All forms are pronounced the same way, and there does not appear to be any correlation between the effect and the kanji used. A user's name for the arte follows them in their appearances in Crossover Titles as well.
Appearances (Hurricane Thrust [風神剣])
- Tales of Destiny (PSX) - Garr Kelvin (Wind Blade)
- Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut - Garr Kelvin
- Tales of Rebirth - Veigue Lungberg
- Tales of Graces - Richard (Hurricane Thrust)
- Tales of Arise - Alphen (Hurricane Thrust)
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - Garr Kelvin
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Garr Kelvin
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Garr Kelvin
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Garr Kelvin
- Tales of Asteria - Garr Kelvin, Veigue Lungberg, Richard
- Tales of the Rays - Ras, Richard
Appearances (Hurricane Punch)
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon - "Heihachi" costume
- Tales of Arise - Phantom Zephyr (Hurricane Punch)
Appearances (Hurricane Thrust [風迅剣])
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X - Knight costume
- Tales of Symphonia - Lloyd Irving, Kratos Aurion, Zelos Wilder (Hurricane Thrust)
- Tales of Innocence - Spada Belforma
- Tales of Berseria - Rokurou Rangetsu (Hurricane Thrust)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Magic Knight class (Hurricane Thrust)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Zelos Wilder
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Zelos Wilder
- Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave - Spada Belforma
- Tales of Link - Zelos Wilder (Hurricane Thrust)
- Tales of Asteria - Rokurou Rangetsu
Hurricane Thrust [風神剣])
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (Kajitani-Eizan): Hurricane Thrust
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (Kajitani-Eizan): Hurricane Thrust
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Destiny (PSX)
Japanese Description: 突きによる剣圧の飛び道具
Localized Description: "A projectile attack created by air pressure from a sword thrust."
Tales of Symphonia
Japanese Description: 強力な突きにより生じた風圧で 敵を浮かせる秘技
Localized Description: "Lv. 2 Sp. Attack: make the enemy float with a powerful thrust."
Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut
Japanese Description: 突きによる風圧の飛び道具を放つ剣技。
Translated Description (Life Bottle Productions): "Unleash a wind-projectile from a thrust."
Tales of Rebirth
Japanese Quote: そこだッ！
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Japanese Description: 強力な突きにより生じた風圧で敵を攻撃する秘技
Localized Description: "Master: A powerful thrust creates a blast of wind that smashes an enemy."
Tales of Graces
Japanese Quote: 駿風！
Localized Quote: "Take this!"
Tales of Innocence
Japanese Description: 強力な突きにより生じた風圧で攻撃する秘技
Tales of Berseria
Japanese Description: 間合いを一気に詰めながら、ねじりを利かせ真空波をまとった鋭い突きを見舞う。
Localized Description: "Swiftly closes in on the foe with a twisting thrust that creates a vacuum."
Localized Quote: "Hurricane!"
Tales of the Rays
Japanese Description: 風の力を纏った鋭い刺突を放つ
Tales of Arise
- Hurricane Thrust [風神剣]
Localized Description: "A martial arte that closes distance to an enemy quickly with a potent thrust."
Alternate Localized Quote: "Tear!"
- Tales Series Translation FAQ by KusanagiLord02 GameFAQs (2006) Retrieved on 2008-03-16.
- Tales of Destiny (PS2) Technique FAQ by KusanagiLord02 GameFAQs (2007) Retrieved on 2008-03-16.
- Tales of Rebirth (PS2) Level-Up/Ougi Guide by jygting GameFAQs (2007) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- Tales of Destiny (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough by CMoriarty / Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.
- Tales of Symphonia (GC) Technique FAQ by DarthMarth GameFAQs (2005) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology: Character/Class FAQ by Lynkiko GameFAQS (2007) Retrieved on 2012-10-31.