- 1 Arte Description and History
- 2 Appearances (魔王炎撃波)
- 3 Appearances (魔王炎撃破)
- 4 Fan-Translated Names
- 5 In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
- 5.1 Tales of Destiny (PSX)
- 5.2 Tales of the Abyss
- 5.3 Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
- 5.4 Tales of Innocence
- 5.5 Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut
- 5.6 Tales of Hearts
- 5.7 Tales of Innocence R
- 5.8 Tales of Hearts R
- 5.9 Tales of Graces
- 5.10 Tales of Berseria
- 5.11 Tales of the Rays
- 5.12 Tales of Arise
- 6 References
Arte Description and History
When this arte is used, the user slashes at the enemy while their weapon is engulfed in flames, creating a large wave of fire. This attack commonly reaches far distances and deals multiple hits quickly, affecting a large arc in front of the user.
The arte first appeared in the original PlayStation version of Tales of Destiny as a Sacred Skill that combines the arte Missile Sword and the spell Fire Wall, localized as Fiery Wave. This attack is later reprised in the remake versions of the game for the PlayStation 2 as a separate attack that no longer builds off the two bases from its first appearance. In these remake versions, Stahn Aileron has the ability to use this attack both on the ground and within the air; while airborne, the attack animation is changed to become two angled slashes with his flaming sword. Dymlos Timber also has access to this arte, along with the ability to perform an extension that creates a large arc of fire that streams upward over his head, chaining after the end of the attack itself.
In Tales of the Abyss, the arte is an FOF Change, which can be used only when Guy Cecil uses Demon Fang within a complete Fire or Light FOF Circle. In Tales of Hearts, if Kohaku Hearts activates this attack at the same time that Ines Lorenzen performs Icicle Épée, both attacks combine together and become Raging Pluie. Ruca Milda's version of the arte uses a different ending kanji, showing "Break" (破?) instead of "Wave" (波?). In the Radiant Mythology series of games, his version uses the second kanji, but he returns to using the first in both Tales of Innocence R and Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave.
The arte reappears in Tales of Graces as part of Asbel Lhant's set of burst artes. When this arte is used twice consecutively, the animation of the second attack is mirrored from the original attack, allowing him to first swing his blade from left to right before following through with a swing from right to left. This change in animation is similar to the change of Stahn's version of the attack when it is performed in the air, though in Asbel's case, both swings count as separate attacks.
In Tales of Arise, this is arte is one of Alphen's Flaming Edges. He stabs the ground with the Blazing Sword before taking a step forward and slashing at a top-left angle, creating an arc of fire that burns any enemy in front of him.
- Tales of Destiny (PSX) - Stahn Aileron (Fiery Wave)
- Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut - Stahn Aileron, Dymlos Timber
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X - Samurai costume, Asbel Lhant costume
- Tales of the Abyss - Guy Cecil (Infernal Torrent)
- Tales of Hearts - Kohaku Hearts
- Tales of Hearts R - Kohaku Hearts (Infernal Torrent)
- Tales of Graces - Asbel Lhant (Infernal Torrent)
- Tales of Xillia - Wingul (Infernal Torrent)
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Wingul (Infernal Torrent)
- Tales of Berseria - Velvet Crowe (Infernal Torrent)
- Tales of Arise - Alphen (Infernal Torrent)
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - Stahn Aileron
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Stahn Aileron
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Stahn Aileron (Infernal Torrent)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Stahn Aileron, Ruca Milda
- Tales of VS. - Stahn Aileron, Ruca Milda
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Stahn Aileron, Ruca Milda, Kohaku Hearts
- Tales of the World: Tactics Union - Kohaku Hearts
- Tales of the World: Reve Unitia - Kohaku Hearts
- Tales of Link - Stahn Aileron, Kohaku Hearts, Wingul, Velvet (Infernal Torrent)
- Tales of Asteria - Stahn Aileron, Asbel Lhant
- Tales of the Rays - Stahn Aileron (Infernal Torrent), Alphen
- Tales of Crestoria - Guy Cecil (Infernal Torrent)
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (Kajitani-Eizan): Infernal Torrent
- Tales of Innocence (Absolute Zero): Infernal Torrent
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Destiny (PSX)
Japanese Description: 射程は短いが威力のある炎の波動を放つ
Localized Description: "Creates a short range wave of flame."
User: Stahn Aileron
Alternate Japanese Quote: 焼き尽くせ！
Tales of the Abyss
Japanese Description: 高速の斬りにより炎の波動を放つ技
Localized Description: "Arte: Send forth a fiery shockwave towards the enemy."
Japanese Quote: 炎よ集え！魔王炎撃波！
Localized Quote: "Flames, arise! Infernal Torrent!"
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Localized Description: "Master: Strike down an enemy with a blast from a sword imbued with the essence of fire itself."
Tales of Innocence
Japanese Description: 炎の晶力を一気に解放しつつ振り上げる奥義
Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut
Japanese Description: 炎の晶力を剣に溜め、一気に解放しながら 薙ぎ払う術剣技。
Translated Description (Life Bottle Productions): "Send forth a fiery shockwave towards the enemy."
Tales of Hearts
Japanese Description: 地獄の業火を込めた一撃で 眼前の敵を焼き尽くす技。
Tales of Innocence R
Japanese Description: 炎を纏った武器で斬り上げ、斬り下ろす秘技 軌道には炎が噴出する
Tales of Hearts R
Japanese Description: 地獄の業火を込めた一撃で 眼前の敵を焼き尽くす技
Localized Description: "Incinerates any enemy in front of the user with a blast of malevolent hellfire."
Tales of Graces
Japanese Description: 魔王のごとき圧倒的な火力で広範囲の敵を 葬る。
Localized Description: "A demonic swing that enshrouds all enemies around Asbel in overwhelming heat."
Alternate Japanese Quote: 灰燼の焔！
Alternate Romanized Quote: Kaijin no homura!
Alternate Localized Quote: "Burn!"
Tales of Berseria
Japanese Description: 左の足払いの後、その反動で激しい炎をまとった 右回し蹴りを繰り出す。ダウン中の敵を狙える。
Localized Description: "A lep sweep to the left that generates momentum for a flaming rightward kick that picks up downed enemies."
Tales of the Rays
Japanese Description: 剣に煉獄の炎を宿らせ、広範囲を薙ぎ払う
Tales of Arise
Localized Description: "A sweeping Blazing Sword attack that burns the area around an enemy to a crisp. Inflicts self-damage when used."
- Tales of Destiny (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough by CMoriarty / Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2008-03-08.