Magic Guard (マジックガード Magikkugaado?) is a recurring battle action and passive skill that allows a character to defend against magical attacks in games where the standard Guard does not.
Arte Description and History
The Magic Guard action was introduced in Tales of Destiny 2 as a defensive option requiring 20% SP to use. For 2 seconds, it allows the user to reduce the damage and prevent stagger from magical attacks, restoring TP if successful. This function complements the traditional Guard, which only works against physical attacks. It is activated by using the "Guard" button and pressing down at the same time. In Tales of Symphonia, this action is replaced by the Guardian arte and its variants, which works against both physical and magical attacks but requires TP. It has a variant called the Special Guard (特殊ガード Tokushu Gaado?) in Tales of Legendia activated the same way but with no cost, though with a long stagger period afterward. It reduces all damage received by 85%. Characters in the English localization call out Guardian in reference to Tales of Symphonia.
In Tales of the Abyss, Magic Guard requires a passive skill to be equipped to be used. It has no cost but can be held for as long as desired. This condition is also repeated in multiple games, though in Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X, it continuously drains EBG while in effect. Other games instead return it to its status as a standard battle action that requires no cost but cannot defend against physical attacks. In later games that do not feature this action, the regular Guard may defend against both physical and magical attacks.
Appearances (Magic Guard)
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X - Skill: All playable characters
- Tales of Destiny 2 - Battle Action
- Tales of the Abyss - AD Skill: All playable characters (Magic Guard)
- Tales of Innocence - Battle Action
- Tales of Innocence R - Battle Action
- Tales of Vesperia - Skill: All playable characters (Magic Guard)
- Tales of Hearts - Skill: All playable characters
- Tales of Xillia - Skill: All playable characters (Magic Guard)
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Skill: All playable characters (Magic Guard)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Battle Action
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Battle Action
- Tales of VS. - Battle Action
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Battle Action
Appearances (Special Guard)
- Tales of Legendia - Battle Action (Special Guard)