The Sacred Beasts (聖獣 Seijuu?, "Holy Beasts") are the six spiritual creatures and their Divine King that govern the world of Calegia in Tales of Rebirth, replacing Spirits, which are prevalent in the Tales series.
Long before the events of the story, the six Sacred Beasts, known as the Six Saints, served their King, Geyorkias, each of them possessing an arcane power. At some point, the King and his Six Saints came into conflict over opposing ideals: Geyorkias believed they should eradicate all Huma from the world so that the racism and hatred between them and their fellow race, the Gajuma, would cease, as Huma had undergone a marked cultural development and waged war against the Gajuma in an attempt to subject them to the Huma's rule. The Six Saints disagreed with this, believing the relationship between Huma and Gajuma to merely be the "workings of nature", and a battle between the two great forces ensued, the battle's outcome having the potential to affect the entire world.
The people feared this outcome and struggled to fashion a model society at a time when vice and virtue were virtually nonexistent. After a battle that raged seemingly with no end, the Six Saints overcame Geyorkias and sealed him away, allowing Huma to continue existing in the world with the Gajuma. However, this battle also left the earth impoverished, and the Six Saints weakened as a result, leaving no one to guide the Huma and Gajuma, so the hatred between them, known as the "impression", incessantly built.
Role in the Plot
The Sacred Beasts are not mentioned until Zilva Madigan deceives Agarte Lindblum into using her Force of Moon to revive Geyorkias, who introduces himself as King of the Sacred Beasts and announces that he has come to eradicate all Huma. The protagonists manage to defeat him, however, initiating the subsequent events of the story, in which the group seeks to obtain the power of the Sacred Beasts in order to purify the impression that threatens the world. The Sacred Beast Eephon bestows his power of Darkness upon Tytree Crowe and provides the group with a clue of how they can reach the next Sacred Beast.
This cycle continues until the group manages to obtain all the Sacred Beasts' powers: Mao with Fenia's power of Fire; Annie Barrs with Wontiga's power of Wind; Veigue Lungberg with Shaorune's power of Water; Hilda Rhambling with Gilione's power of Light; and Eugene Gallardo with Randgriz's power of Earth. With these powers, the group also manages to convince Geyorkias of their plan to save the world without having to eradicate all Huma, and they do so by venturing into Yuris's Realm and defeating the manifestation of racism and hatred, Yuris, thereby purifying the impression.
- Geyorkias (ゲオルギアス Georugiasu?), King of the Sacred Beasts.
- Eephon (イーフォン Iifon?), the Sacred Beast of Darkness.
- Fenia (フェニア?), the Sacred Beast of Fire.
- Wontiga (ウォンティガ?), the Sacred Beast of Wind.
- Shaorune (シャオルーン Shaoruun?), the Sacred Beast of Water.
- Gilione (ギリオーヌ Girioonu?), the Sacred Beast of Light.
- Randgriz (ランドグリーズ Randoguriizu?), The Sacred Beast of Earth.
- In a skit, Shaorune reveals that Sacred Beasts are immortal, incapable of completely dying, as a Sacred Beast's essence is "always alive somewhere".
- The inns in Tales of Zestiria are named after the Sacred Beasts.
- Tales of Mobile: Tales of Breaker features a separate set of Sacred Beasts. The protagonist, Mika, has the ability to transform into them.