|Tales of Crestoria|
|Developers||Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc.|
|Publishers||Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc.|
|Character Designers||Kousuke Fujishima, Mutsumi Inomata, Miyuki Kobayashi, Daigo Okumura|
|Japanese Releases||July 15, 2020|
|North American Releases||July 15, 2020|
|European Releases||July 15, 2020|
|End of Service||JP February 7, 2022|
WW February 6, 2022
|Opening Theme||"Howling for Honey" by GESU NO KIWAMI OTOME|
Tales of Crestoria (テイルズ オブ クレストリア Teiruzu obu Kuresutoria?) is a mobile Tales of title. It was announced on September 11, 2018, via its Japanese Twitter account. According to the reports, the theme of the game is "crime" and the story is centered around a young man who carries a great burden and also lives for someone or something that is important to him. Each of the three initially teased characters have a certain "crime" they carry as a burden. Its characteristic genre is An RPG Written in Blood and Betrayal (愛しき咎我人（なかま）と出会うＲＰＧ Itoshiki Togabito (Nakama) to Deau RPG?, "Meeting Dear Transgressors (Friends) RPG"). During the 23rd anniversary stream, December 8, 2018, it was confirmed that the game will get an English release.
An open beta test for the English release was held between May 8 and May 13, 2020, in Canada and Indonesia. After several delays, the game was released worldwide on July 15, 2020, making it the first entry in the series with a simultaneous release for both Japanese and overseas market.
On December 7, 2021, it was announced that the game would end its service on February 6, 2022, for global client and a day later, on February 7, 2022, for Japanese client. The story was announced to be continued in a comic adaptation written by the scenario writer Jun Kumagai and illustrated by Tsubaki Ayasugi.
In the as of yet unnamed world that Tales of Crestoria is set it, people are required to carry objects known as vision orbs at their side at all times. The images recorded within vision orbs can be transmitted via vision centrals, structures located in place of importance, like plazas and churches. When a person is to be judged, the vision central shows "footage" from orbs related to the crime and according to the "prayers" sent by the citizens watching the images, the individual in question is judged innocent or guilty. In case the person related to the crime is judged guilty, they are branded with a "stain," and an enforcer is dispatched to hunt the criminal down and pass the sentence.
The Stain of Guilt is a mark that appears on body part of those acknowledged as sinners, thus becoming a transgressor chased down by enforcers. The positioning of the mark differs depending on the sin itself. The Stain of Blood Sin is an evolved form of the Stain of Guilt, born from the criminal's intent to carry the burden of their sin and overcoming Vicious's selection. The Blood Sin is a weapon drawn from the Stain of Blood Sin using magic after a person accepts their sin which is then embedded into their blood.
- Kanata Hjuger (カナタ・ヒューガ Kanata Hyuuga?) - The story's protagonist and the only son of a respected village leader. He espouses a desire to protect the weak, but is rarely taken seriously due to his obvious naivete. He believes strongly in vision orb justice, and only opens his eyes to its cruelty when the system brands him a criminal.
- Misella (ミゼラ Mizera?) - The story's heroine. An orphan raised at a shelter run by Kanata's father. Devoid of self-doubt, she will not hesitate to take extreme measures to keep Kanata safe. Though she owes Vicious her life, she fears the Great Transgressor is leading Kanata down a dark path and despises him for it.
- Vicious (ヴィシャス Vishasu?) - Widely known as the "Great Transgressor," Vicious is feared and despised the world over. He possesses a devil-may-care attitude, and believes people should live their lives as their whims guide them, He crosses paths with and rescues the condemned Kanata and Misella in his search of a certain place. Vicious possesses the unique ability to unlock people's Blood Sins.
- Aegis Alver (イージス・アルヴァ Iijisu Aruva?) - A handsome young man of impeccable character who serves as Knight Commander of Medagal. His obsession with righteousness borders on obstinancy. Placing full faith in the judgments of the vision orb, he pursues Kanata and his companions relentlessly.
- Yuna Azetta (ユナ・アゼッタ Yuna Azetta?) - A capable young journalist with a cheery personality and a penchant for lying. Her incessant, colorfully accented banter can make her come off as flaky and unreliable, but she is willing to risk her life in pursuit of the truth. She also sells illicit information to Vicious on the side.
- Orwin Granberg (オウレン・グランバーグ Ouren Guranbaagu?) - A grown man with affable, if world-weary disposition. Perpetually listless, he contributes little to society. Despite this, he has a wife, Naya, and a daughter, Aura. They subsist primarily off of Naya's earnings.
- Makina (マキナ?, "Machina") - An artificial life form created by exploiting the vision orb system. Makina can command other enforcers. Her total faith that her condemnations are righteous allows her to commit brutal atrocities without batting an eye or breaking her smile.
- Forte (フォルテ Forute?) - Assid's twin brother Forte is a young vision orb researcher who carries himself with a formal dignity. His intense faith in Kasque has led him to refer himself as a "divine apostle."
- Assid (アシッド Ashiddo?) - Forte's twin brother Assid is a high-spirited, skirt-chasing young man. He is a capable fighter who can wield a wide variety of weapons. He and his brother are striving to engineer a second coming of the goddess Kasque.
- Kasque (キャスク Kyasuku?) - The goddess who created the vision orbs and the system.
Tales of Crestoria features an ever-expanding cast of characters from the Tales of franchise.
The Home (ホーム Hoomu?) screen acts as the main navigation menu in the game. From it the player can access a Character Room (キャラクタールーム Kyarakutaaruumu?), where the player can customize a character with a plethora of attachments (アタッチメント atatchimento?) that can be equipped on a character's various body parts and the equipped attachments also appear in battles.
There are four types of story content: Main Story (メインストーリー Meinsutoorii?), that tells the unique and profound story of the game, Side Story, that is adjacent to and moves with the Main Story and is filled with characters who lend Kanata and his friends a hand during their travels, Character Episodes (キャラクターエピソード Kyarakutaaepisoodo?), that tell more about characters' life outside the Main Story, and Story Skits (フェイスチャット Feisuchatto?, "Face Chat"), that are short conversations that occur between stages that reveal fun conversations and extra information of what the characters are thinking during the story.
Memoria Stones (メモリアストーン Memoriasutoon?), strong emotions or memories crystallized into mana, can cause a character to materialize and even join the player's party. If a Memoria Stone is equipped on an existing character, that character's stats increase.
Tales of Crestoria uses a turn-based battle system, a rare occurence in the series. At the bottom right hand corner are four panels layed out in a the shape of the plus (+) character. The right button is a regular attack, the bottom and left buttons are artes, powerful abilities with a turn recast, and top button is for the mystic arte, that can be used once the blue-colored Overlimit gauge beneath the character's portrait is full. Attacks and combos fill the Overlimit Gauge, while Overlimit itself aside of the previously said function increases damage and chance of scoring critical strikes, but also use of more powerful artes, different from mystic artes.
Tales of Crestoria has fifteen unit types: Sword, Longsword, Dagger, Dualblades, Martial Arts, Gun, Longstaff, Spear, Axe, Instrument, Bow, Hammer, Staff, Artes, and Support. In the beta release there were also Knight and Chosen, but were scrapped in the final release. The game has six elements: Fire, Earth, Wind, Water, Light, and Dark. They are available for both playable characters and enemies, although the latter can also be Neutral.
- Despite the game having separate servers for Japanese and global clients, during various campaigns they were treated as a single entity. For example achieving goals in certain campaigns in Japan, would also result in associated rewards being distributed in the global client.
- As opposed to other Crossover Titles where magic artes tend to have the same animation across all users, Tales of Crestoria took into account how each spell appears in each title and characters originating from them, e.g. Arche's Thunder Blade manifests as a large lightning blast, while Jade's appears as a large lightning bolt impaling the ground in a diagonal angle followed by a burst of a lightning dome from it, similarly how they appear in these characters' games of origin.
- Depending on the character's game of origin, if they execute their original mystic arte, the camera will occasionally close in on their face, as a reference to the cut-in images that popped up in that original game.
- 本日より「テイルズ オブ クレストリア」のサービスを正式に開始致しました。 (...) • Twitter (2020-07-16) Retrieved on 2020-07-16.
- Today marks the official launch of "TALES OF CRESTORIA"! (...) • Twitter (2020-07-16) Retrieved on 2020-07-16.
- 【サービス終了のお知らせ（1/2）】『テイルズ オブ クレストリア』は、2022年2月7日(月)14:00(予定)をもってサービスの終了をさせていただくこととなりました。 (...) • Twitter (2021-12-07) Retrieved on 2021-12-07.
- [Service Shutdown Notice (1/2) Tales of Crestoria will shut down on Sun, Feb. 6th, 2022 9:00PM PST. (...)] • Twitter (2021-12-07) Retrieved on 2021-12-07.
- Theme song and final trailer revealed! (...) Twitter (2020-04-27) Retrieved on 2020-04-27.
- ≪スマートフォンから始める、新しい『テイルズ オブ』≫ (...) Twitter (2018-09-11) Retrieved on 2018-09-12.
- Tales of Crestoria announced for smartphones Gematsu (2018-09-11) Retrieved on 2018-09-12.
- 【キャラクター紹介ムービー】先ほどのステージで先行公開された本動画。 (...) Twitter (2018-09-22) Retrieved on 2018-09-22.
- < The world called it a sin. > "I protected someone I care about." Live. Even if it's a sin. #TalesOfCrestoria Twitter (2018-12-08) Retrieved on 2018-12-11.
- Tales of Crestoria English Release Confirmed, Key Visual Revealed! AbyssalChronicles (2018-12-08) Retrieved on 2018-12-08.
- Tales of Crestoria English Version Starts Open Beta Today in Canada and Indonesia, Kanata Character Trailer Released AbyssalChronicles (2020-05-08) Retrieved on 2020-05-08.
- Tales of Crestoria (@to_crestoria_EN). The scenario will be written by the game's writer, Jun Kumagai. Illustrations will be done by Tsubaki Ayasugi. Publication period and details will be available soon, so please look forward to it. (...). Twitter. (2021-12-15). Retrieved on 2021-12-15.
- Tales of Crestoria Details Revealed In Famitsu AbyssalChronicles (2018-09-12) Retrieved on 2018-09-12.
- Tales of Crestoria coming west Gematsu (2018-12-08) Retrieved on 2018-12-08.
- New Tales of Crestoria English Game Introduction Trailer (...) AbyssalChronicles (2019-12-14) Retrieved on 2019-12-14.
- Tales of Crestoria Yuna, Aegis and Orwin 3D Models, Battle System Info AbyssalChronicles (2019-02-15) Retrieved on 2019-02-19.
- [JP] Tales of Crestoria (Official Website)
- [JP] Official Twitter Account
- [JP] App Store page
- [JP] Google Play page
- Tales of Crestoria (Official Website)
- Official English Twitter Account
- App Store page
- Google Play page
- Tales of Crestoria Wiki, a wiki focused on the global release