|This article is based on information from Japanese-only media.|
The following content has not been released in the English language, so details are subject to change at any given time.
|Tales of Eternia Online|
|Game Systems||Microsoft Windows|
|Character Designers||Mutsumi Inomata|
|Japanese Releases||March 3, 2006|
|End of Service||March 31, 2007|
|Opening Theme||"Yamanai Ame wa Nai"|
by Izawa Asami
|Ratings||CERO: FREE (all ages)|
Tales of Eternia Online (テイルズ オブ エターニア オンライン Teiruzu obu Etaania Onrain?) is a massively multiplayer online RPG set in the world of Tales of Eternia. The game's events occur around the start of the second disc in the original game, just after Reid Hershel's party crosses over into Celestia.
The first in the Tales franchise launched as an MMORPG, the title was produced and maintained as a joint venture between Namco and Dwango. Although the game's Japanese release was originally for the spring of 2005, the first phase of closed beta testing was delayed and did not open until July 7, 2005. The second closed beta test phase started on January 16, 2006. Open beta was from February 16 until February 28, 2006. The official online game was formally released on March 3, 2006. The MMORPG had an anime opening with the song "Yamanai Ame wa Nai" by Izawa Asami. In January 2007, Namco announced that the game would be taken down on March 31, 2007, after having been online for only one year. The reason for the discontinuation of the online game was due to the declining number of player accounts.
There are five character classes from which to choose, all modeled after Tales of Eternia characters:
- Swordsman (剣士 Kenshi?): The characters in this class are modeled after Rassius Luine. Masters of melee combat, their high physical attack power is a welcome addition to any party. They can wield a many types of weapons, such as normal and long swords, daggers, spears, and axes.
- Warrior (戦士 Senshi?): The only character class that could equip shields, their high defense and party-oriented defense skills make them a front-liner in every party. The male versions of the character are modeled after Reid Hershel.
- Divine Craymel Mage (聖晶霊術士 Seishourei Jutsushi?): The female versions of this class are modeled after Meredy. The class specializes in recovery and status-enhancing magic.
- Arcane Craymel Mage (魔晶霊術士 Mashourei Jutsushi?): The male versions of this class are modeled after Keele Zeibel. The class specializes in powerful magic attacks.
- Fighter (格闘家 Kakutouka?): The characters in this class are modeled after Farah Oersted. The class's high agility allows them to dodge attacks and perform combos easily, although they have limited recovery skills.
Tales of Eternia Online utilizes a variation of the Linear Motion Battle System from the original PlayStation game called the Online Linear Motion Battle System (O-LMBS). This allows players a wide range of horizontal movement. Vertical movement is automatically executed, depending on their target's location. Just as with the original game, there is no z-axis movement.
Each party can have up to four members comprised of any combination of character classes. Experience is calculated based on the average level of all players in the party. Higher-leveled players gain slightly more experience compared to lower-leveled players in the same party. An "Even Share" option is also available, with the experience points given by a monster divided equally among the four members in the party. Due to the way the experience values are calculated, the former arrangement gives more net experience per member. To solve this, most parties were often composed of members within three levels of each other.
As a side effect of Namco's implementation of 0-LMBS, kill-stealing is not possible. When the party is in combat, a monster and the player or party fighting it are sealed from the outside by a yellow aura. This prevents other players from engaging with the same monster. When a player needs assistance from other players outside the aura, any of the party members can push a panic button that will notify other players to join the battle.