|Tales of Xillia 2|
|Game Systems||PlayStation 3|
|Developers||Namco Tales Studio|
|Publishers||Bandai Namco Games|
|Character Designers|| •Mutsumi Inomata|
|Japanese Releases||November 1, 2012|
|North American Releases||August 19, 2014|
|European Releases||August 22, 2014|
|Opening Theme||"Song 4 u" by Ayumi Hamasaki|
|Ratings|| JP CERO: C (recommended 15+)|
NA ESRB: T (Teen, recommended 13+)
Tales of Xillia 2 (テイルズ オブ エクシリア ２ Teiruzu obu Ekushiria Tsu?) is the fourteenth Mothership Title in the Tales series, officially serving as the sequel to Tales of Xillia, and is set one year after its events. Ufotable once again animates the game's cutscenes. The characteristic genre theme is "Choices That Spin the Future RPG" (選択が未来を紡ぐRPG Sentaku ga Mirai wo Tsumugu RPG?).
Tales of Xillia 2 is set in Elympios, which currently remains in harmony with Rieze Maxia. However, due to the two world's differences in culture and terms of opinion, they also remain in opposition. Elympios is a highly technological world where the residents live in prosperity. The residents of Elympios continue to fear the people of Rieze Maxia by calling them "monsters" due to their ability to use Spirit Artes, which are rare skills in Elympios. After the events of the prequel, a large sum of mana explodes due to the destruction of the schism, a barrier that separates Elympios and Rieze Maxia. The explosion causes the Lilium Orbs to overload with mana and stop working. However, by feeding the orbs using elemental energy through a mana-absorbing spyrix, they work once again, albeit differently. These orbs are later called Allium Orbs.
Tales of Xillia 2 takes place one year after the events of Tales of Xillia. Under orders from her father to find the mystical Land of Canaan, Elle Mel Marta boards a train that is hijacked before its departure. Ludger Will Kresnik follows her onboard and works with Jude Mathis to retake the train. The train crashes, and the resulting medical treatment from Spirius Corporation puts Ludger in debt. Aware of the Kresnik family's ability to destroy parallel dimensions, Spirius CEO, Bisley Karcsi Bakur, hires Ludger for this purpose since the spirit Origin can no longer sustain the abundance of souls in the worlds. At the same time, Ludger searches for his brother, Julius Will Kresnik, who has been declared the train hijacking's instigator.
As Ludger works for Spirius, he is joined by the protagonists from Tales of Xillia, in addition to Gaius and Muzét. It is slowly revealed that the world's current predicament is a millennia-aged trial arranged by the spirits Origin, Maxwell, and Chronos, to test whether or not humanity was worth preserving. The first person to reach the Land of Canaan will have a wish granted by Origin. As part of the trial, Chronos gave the Kresnik their powers, called chromatus. Overusing the chromatus turns the user into a divergence catalyst, which is the core of a parallel dimension. If the number of dimensions reach one million, Origin will release the miasma accumulated during the reincarnation process, which will kill everything but spirits.
In addition, a special Kresnik is born every generation with the power to take items from parallel dimensions and is dubbed the Key of Kresnik. To reach Canaan, five objects called waymarkers must be obtained from parallel dimensions that require the powers of a Key of Kresnik. Having used Elle's Key of Kresnik powers, Ludger is able to gather four waymarkers. In search of the final waymarker, the group learns that Elle originates from a parallel dimension, and her father, Victor, is a waymarker, as well as that dimension's Ludger. Victor attempts to kill Ludger to replace him in the prime dimension but is killed instead.
With all five waymarkers gathered, the entrance to Canaan is revealed. Bisley takes Elle and has his agents stall the group, as he wishes to use Origin's wish to enslave all spirits. Eluding Bisley's agents, the group learns a Kresnik needs to be sacrificed to reveal the bridge to Canaan. Julius offers his life, allowing the group to intercept Bisley, who dies in the ensuing battle. Having succeeded the trial, Origin grants the group's request to destroy all parallel worlds, but with Elle's transformation into a divergence catalyst nearly completed, Ludger saves her by becoming a divergence catalyst before her, sacrificing himself in her place. An epilogue follows an adult Elle and highlights some of her and her friends' achievements since then.
- Ludger Will Kresnik (ルドガー・ウィル・クルスニク Rudogaa Uiru Kurusuniku?) - A 20-year-old man currently living with his older brother in a city called Trigleph in Elympios. During his first day of work, his brother, Julius, is nowhere to be found, and he is a victim of a sequence of events that puts him in deep debt. He has a special ability inherited in the Kresnik family called chromatus that transforms his appearance and improves his fighting ability. His weapons include dual swords, dual pistols, and a hammer.
- Elle Mel Marta (エル・メル・マータ Eru Meru Maata?, "Elle Mel Mata") - A young girl who Ludger follows one day. After fleeing from attackers, she searches for the mythical Land of Canaan on her father's orders. Though she cannot fight, she supports from the sidelines.
- Jude Mathis (ジュード・マティス Judo Matisu?) - Jude's appearance is different from the prequel, and his immaturity from when he was a student is completely gone, as he has shown more responsibilities. He successfully graduated from medical school and became one of the research team members conducting studies about the great spirit Origin so it could replace spyrix, despite his young age.
- Alvin (アルヴィン Aruvin?) - It is revealed that Alvin is the son of a distinguished family in Elympios. He is no longer untrustworthy and currently struggles in a business he is running together with his business partner. He is still trying to break the barrier, hoping to form better relationships with others.
- Leia Rolando (レイア・ロランド Reia Rorando?) - Leia resigned from being a nurse and went all the way to Elympios to find herself and contemplate on what to do with her life. She currently works as a reporter for a minor newspaper company, and although she produces good results, she is impatient with her work. She becomes more adult-like, especially in terms of clothing.
- Elize Lutus (エリーゼ・ルタス Erize Rutasu?) - Elize has a new appearance and is not as shy as she was in the previous game. Currently, she attends school in Sharilton and is searching for a new way to live.
- Rowen J. Ilbert (ローエン・J・イルベルト Roen J. Iruberuto?) - Rowen is still known as a great strategist and conductor. He is now a Prime Minister of Rieze Maxia and the right-hand man of King Gaius. He arrived at Elympios to make negotiations regarding a peace treaty but has become the target of hate for people who are against peace.
- Milla (ミラ Mira?) - The woman who is named after Maxwell and stopped Exodus and the completion of the Lance of Kresnik at the age of six. Having fulfilled her mission, she no longer has control over the power of Maxwell and cannot summon the Four Great Spirits. She is similar to a regular human now, though due to her special upbringing, she has few friends and is stubborn and haughty, often becoming emotional and acts childish despite her age. She lives in Nia Khera with her twin sister and the Great Spirit Muzét. She is the fractured version of Milla Maxwell.
- Gaius (ガイアス Gaiasu?) - Gaius is the first King of Rieze Maxia. Together with Rowen, his Prime Minister, he conducts diplomatic relations among Rashugal, Auj Oule, and Elympios. Along with this, he attempts to solve the worries of his people by gathering information while disguised in public. He uses his real name, Erston Outway, when doing so. Although he often appears heartless through his words and attitude, he is a passionate king who holds the phrase "protect the weak" very strongly in his heart. His weapon is a long sword.
- Muzét (ミュゼ Myuze?, "Musee") - Milla Maxwell's older sister. Muzét is a Great Spirit with the ability to slice through dimensions. She lived in the spirit world with Milla but returned to the human world for some purpose. The madness she previously had has disappeared thanks to Milla being a foundation for her heart, and she now has a playful, honest, and gentle personality. Muzét cares about her sister more than anyone and prides herself in her, though she struggles to act in a sisterly fashion sometimes, resulting in her lack of human common sense to cause trouble. Her weapon in combat is her long hair.
- Milla Maxwell (ミラ＝マクスウェル Mira Makusuweru?) - The new Lord of Spirits. Milla now holds the duty of officially being the new Maxwell, but she still remains the same person.
Tales of Xillia 2 is presented in a similar graphic appeal as its prequel. However, unlike any other Tales game, during cutscenes, the players are prompted to take different actions, which can change the course of the story and also affect how the story will progress.
Tales of Xillia 2 uses the Cross Double-Raid Linear Motion Battle System (XDR-LMBS), a variant of its prequel's Double-Raid Linear Motion Battle System (DR-LMBS). This battle system also features a new "Weapon Shift" system, similar to the Tales of Graces Style Shift system. In Weapon Shift, Ludger is able to shift between three weapons: dual blades, a sledgehammer, and dual guns.
Tales of Xillia 2 features the Allium Orb instead of the Lilium Orb. As the player progresses through the story, they can find Elemental Ore (エレメンタルコア Erementarukoa?, "Elemental Cores") which can be applied to the Allium Orb with the Extractor (アブソーバー Abusoobaa?, "Absorber"). The Allium Orb features six elements: Light, Earth, Water, Dark, Wind, and Fire, and depending on which Extractor is equipped, an element will gain points from Elemental Ore that is received. Elemental Ore can be obtained from battles and harvest points. As an element gains points, stats, skills, and artes become unlocked.
The player can engage in a game-spanning sidequest and minigame called Kitty Dispatch. Early in the story they will be asked by a woman called Miss Kitty Catt to look for her lost one hundred cats. To unlock new location in Kitty Dispatch the player is required to find a cat in the location in question first. Kitty Dispatch allows to obtain items which cannot be found through field exploration, attachments, and joke weapons, as well as items which can be found during field exploration.
The player can engage in a set of character episodes which concentrate on expanding the lives and personalities of the other playable characters.
- [JP] Tales of Xillia 2 (Official Website)
- [JP] Tales Channel (Tales Series Official Website)
- Tales of Xillia 2 (Bandai Namco Entertainment Europe)
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Ludger Kresnik Collector's Edition (Bandai Namco Entertainment Europe)