Tales of Fandom vol 2 confusion
Should the information from Tales of Fandom Vol. 1 and/or 2 be considered canon? From what I think of the word "fandom", it's just something fan-based or fan-service, meaning that it is just for satisfying or humoring fans. Since a lot of Kratos, Tear and Jade's pasts are revealed in at least the second volume, should this still just be a part of the "Other Appearance", or should it have its own section in "History"?
Penamesolen 17:18, October 27, 2009 (UTC)
- The actual games are not canon. However, the story routes that go into each character's past is canon, basically like "extended universe" materials. That's because the events actually happened to them, and they are just telling those stories to others in a non-canon way (spacetime travel machines in NariDan 3, etc). The same goes for drama CD stories and novels that go into backstory (all canon), and not the manga and anime retellings of the games (not canon).
- So Tear was taught by an Oracle Knight and God General named Cantible (ToF2), Lilith married some guy from Neuestadt (I forgot his name) and had a child with him named Rimul (ToD Drama CD, for the PSX version, the guy was even added as an NPC in the PS2 version!), and Winona Bigford was very sympathetic to Dhaos before Leisen convinced Midgard to screw him over by going to war against an originally harmless pacifist who wants a mere seed, eventually driving him to complete and irredeemable insanity in Cless's timeline (Katararezaru Rekishi, prequel novel of the "four warriors" from Phantasia). All of these actually happen in their respective universes.
- I forgot to answer the second question though. I think all of these things should be listed in "History", as long as they are set into separate subsections for each of these extra materials. I don't want to mix these things with what a normal person would find out while playing the original games. In the case of manga and anime series that have differences with the source game, they should also be listed under "History" with explanations of the important changes. "Other Appearances" is pretty much reserved for non-canon crossovers, and perhaps we can extend this to include the Gummy/Viva/Dramatic DVD things too.
- F*ck, I hated Kratos' story about being saved by Kate and all that mentioned in Fandom 2. And I wanted him to be Sylvaranti. But was the prequel novel from Phantasia written by those who made the game, or just some big fan/something?
- Penamesolen 18:55, October 27, 2009 (UTC)
- It was written by an author officially commissioned by Namco to write the novels, Ryuuji Saiki. I would assume that he had at least some correspondence with former Wolfteam people, but you already know that Namco overrode much of what was once Tale Phantasia, so any new ideas introduced by Namco would be canon to Tales of Phantasia anyway. He also did novels for Destiny and Eternia. I don't see why anyone would pass off official novels as fanwork or doujinshi - I wouldn't have mentioned it at all if it was a fan creation, which is not canon by definition.
- I haven't crossed any novels inspired from games or other media, except Death Note: Another Note, which I haven't finished reading yet, so I don't really know much about it. I just guessed that maybe it was an author who wanted to write a story from that universe and thus asked for permission, information and help from the creators.
- Penamesolen 19:53, October 27, 2009 (UTC)
This page makes me want to claw my eyes out. Why do people not refer to the Manual of Style when creating and editing these pages? I just completely had to re-do the Zelos Wilder page, but this looks even worse. The titles are all wrong. They should, as the MoS clearly states, be capitalized and use the same terms, such as "History" and "Fighting Style", for the sake of uniformity. We could save a lot of time and effort by making sure these pages are correct to begin with. That way, we don't have to go back and fix everything, which somehow always seems to take longer. I will work on this page, but not right now. If anyone else wishes to help out, you are more than free to do so, but please refer to the MoS. It will make it look so much better.
Moviebaby 00:24, May 18, 2012 (UTC)
You sound like you're turning into the new Mayu, Moviebaby. Lol
Maybe so, but I see why she gets so frustrated now, and sorry, but I just can not get over this while looking at it. I know these things are all in the MoS, but just to reiterate: Do not use parentheticals or contractions. When linking, do so completely, as in the character's full name, at first mention, then not again. I also see things linked that should not be. If something isn't already linked, whether it be blue or red, please think and consider the option that it may not need to be. Not everything needs a page, and if you can not visualize enough information on said page, do not link it. Anything that is not relevant to the character or story in general needs to go in the Trivia section. Other random facts that don't fit into any other section on the page probably need to go there as well. The weapons, for instance, should not be under Fighting Style, and since there is no other appropriate section, they would go in the Trivia section. Everything becomes much easier to read when it is in the right place.
Moviebaby 00:39, May 18, 2012 (UTC)
- Hahaha. Many times, I see huge contributions and I decide that I would edit them later, then I forget about them as more pages become apparent as needing to be fixed. So I tend to forget about the queue of pages, and since no one else ever does the work for which I apparently became the primary taskholder, it never gets done until someone, usually me, looks at the page months or years later when some random user adds new stuff to the pages, allowing me to see the same problems which I allowed to slip past me. This is one of those pages. Though to be honest, I think many of the Symphonia pages were made prior to me writing up the MoS since I wanted to have a set of rules to point to. I think the user who contributed to these Symphonia pages was mostly reliable, or at the very least I was satisfied enough with her work to not bother her because I wanted to deal with other things at the time. I recall that this particular user was the one who really defined what formatting should be used on char pages - see Lloyd's talk page. Naturally, this was before I became as much of a hardcore ***** as I am these days too, since I realized at some point that I am the only one who consistently reviews and edits pages for writing style and grammar, and if I don't bother with it, it never gets done. And at least these pages had a lot of detail compared to the stubs that were being created by others.
Oh, I see. I did notice that the information was abundant and accurate, but the violations to the MoS really stand out. I'm sure the writing is excellent. As much as I like to fix things on here, spending so long on the Zelos page, then seeing an entire page that has more errors than the one you just fixed is slightly nerve-wracking. I tutor English at a college so I'm used to encountering mistakes in grammar and whatnot, but some of these pages on this wiki seriously blow my mind. It's great that people possess the iniative, and are taking the time to contribute to this wiki, but the information just gets thrown in a way that is unorganized and difficult to understand. I see why you get frustrated now. I know you fussed at me when I began editing this wiki, and I thank you for it now.
Moviebaby 01:12, May 18, 2012 (UTC)
Shokuzai no Kratos
Please keep in mind both the Kratos novel and the Kratos and Jade portions of Tales of Fandom vol. 2 were both written by Takumi Miyajima, the original author for both the ToS & TotA game scenarios. The ToF vol.2 Kratos flashbacks and Shokuzai no Kratos are essentially the same thing. You can honestly just say all the info came from the Kratos novel if you need to look things up on the ToF vol.2 translation. Miyajima had stated on her twitter in the past that Shokuzai no Kratos was composed of unused sub-scenarios she had originally planned to include in ToS. So tl;dr, very canon good info, there ya go.