Translated costume names or not?
I'm working on the costume lists for all three of the NariDan games right now (I really am! Even if I've been apathetic and lazy about it!); I'm just waiting for permission to use someone's translated names for these lists. But it's important to realize that many of these costumes have been localized as class names in RadiMai, or titles and other miscellaneous things in different games. For instance, Nekonin (at least remove the dash) is localized as "Katz" in every game that they appear in since Eternia. (Where's my inunin? ;_; )
My main question: should we make this list based on the localized translations (Swordsman, Fighter, etc.) or list them by their Japanese name due to unlocalized status? The latter would prevent us from "officializing" several unlocalized terms like "Gale Swordsman" or "Fervent Fighter", but it's not like most people would understand what Shippuukenshi or Nekketsutoushi would refer to. And then there's Tekken -> "Iron Fist" ...but it's a separate series so I'll ignore that Namco lolreference.
By the way, this template is missing the playable enemy costumes like Dhaos/ToE-style-Celsius/Yggy/Thanatos. The template itself is just too constraining for its size, so I may have to go through and widen some/all of them at some point to decrease page length. But I don't want to do it myself, since it would take me another two months or so to actually take the effort. I'm lazy, and I don't care that much for the Tales series nowadays.
Mayu Miyuki 12:32, 18 April 2009 (UTC)
- Those are main localized names, except couldnt get out Neko-Nin. Anyway, ya the Template needs more space for the bosses, I could do that except I only have little idea how to edit a template. I have a way but im pretty sure theres a better way than the C/P function.
Character sort order
Heya, welcome back.
While you were gone, I decided to resort all of the chars on each template in the same order that they are advertised on Namdai's official Tales Channel website, regardless of the order they join the party, or how they are sorted in other games. I also included the NPC chars and pets like Ion/Claire/Quickie if they are listed on the site, because they are part of the official cast roster. The only exception to this is Innocence, since it's far too much of a mass spoiler to list the godly likenesses for all of the major chars.
(Like genderswapped-perverted-old-man Ange or genderswapped-delicious-loli Albert.)
In the NariDan games, only the job-type costumes are listed on the Teichan site, so I ended up sorting them as they appear on the costume lists as they appear in the game. In the case of this game, this means that Kratos is listed as the last playable character, and Celsius appears after him, among all of the typically non-playable chars like Amy and Elraine. See this page for reference.
I also want to limit this list to only those chars that can join the party naturally, removing anyone who is available as a costume only, because those chars are considered to be cameo appearances rather than part of the official cast. Celsius never joins on her own, so I would prefer to omit her from this template's list. Actually, Lilith should be removed too, for the same reason... why didn't I do that?
- Thank you ^_^
- So when Raine is before Kratos, it will be like that in all templates (save NariDan) even if Kratos joined the team before Raine? And in the NariDan templates, Kratos as the playable character will be last because Kratos as the cameo costume is? Plus, Celsius isn't viewed as a playable character, but a cameo costume and -appearance? Is there any plan how to display the artes the cameo costumes/appearances have, without the template being filled?
- Penamesolen 01:21, 25 July 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, Raine goes before Kratos to follow the official sort order for Symphonia. Their other appearances are decided by how they are sorted in those games. If we went by join order, Destiny's list would end up as Stahn/Woodrow/Chelsea/Mary/Rutee/etcetc, which is misleading since the Swordian Masters are meant to be listed as the primary chars, and Woodrow is most definitely not Stahn's love interest.
- As for displaying links to the artes for each character costume... you need to remember that every costume in the game has a separate arte set, in each of the NariDan games. This makes over 100 separate lists for NariDan 2 alone (though that can be mitigated by combining the 9 elemental versions of each job-type costume onto one page). The only decent option is to make a new column on the costume lists for each game, to provide a link to each of their arte pages. This is not an ideal solution, but there is no other place to put that sort of thing. I mean, what else can we do, add entries for Pac-Man, the Taiko no Tatsujin drums, and other obscure cameo chars on the already-bloated templates?
- I guess you're right in that. It would be kind of weird to have it look like Woodrow was Stahn's love interest.
- How about doing that? Have an own arte list for ALL the cameo costumes, like you've done with NariDan2's swordsman/fighter/cleric costumes? If every costume has lesser than ten artes, that would work, wouldn't it? At Any rate, I'll take off the changes I did.
- Penamesolen 12:06, 25 July 2009 (UTC)
This template is being marked as being particularly large, meaning it may be delayed in the game template rework.