Time Stop (タイムストップ Taimusutoppu?) is a very powerful spell in the Tales series and Mint Adenade's signature mystic arte. As the name suggests, it stops the enemies' time, allowing for users to perform a number of attacks on enemies, who are subsequently unable to retaliate.
Arte Description and History
This arte was first introduced in the PlayStation release of Tales of Phantasia, in which Mint learns it by reaching level 53. When this arte is used, all enemies turn gray and become unable to move. In later games, when this arte is used, a large clock appears on the screen, and its hands circle one or two times before stopping, resulting in the enemies on the battlefield freezing. Although it is a useful spell if used well, it is more often used by enemies as a high-level arte. It does, however, exist in the form of a rare item, "Hourglass". This arte tends to be ineffective against certain bosses such as Dhaos, the Wyvern, and Pluto in the game.
In Tales of the Abyss, when Mint uses this arte, it is preceded by the phrase Fonic Arte (譜術 Fujutsu?) and, in the North American version only, her facial cut-in. Gelda Nebilim's version of this arte is also preceded by the same phrase, but it lacks a cut-in in all versions. Mint's version is changed to explicitly be a mystic arte and have a cut-in in the Nintendo 3DS version, but Nebilim's remains the same. In Tales of Xillia 2, Mint uses this arte in the arena cameo ending, alongside her fellow cameo characters' mystic artes.
In Tales of Link, it is Mint's mystic arte and capable of damage. While time is stopped, the other members of the Heroes of Eternity come in and attack the targeted enemy, before a final explosion occurs as time ends. In Tales of the Rays, it is an offensive spell used by Nebilim that deals damage to the entire battlefield. While it does not inflict a unique status effect, it leaves the affected targets staggered for an extended period of time, emulating the original Stop effect.
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX / iOS) + Full Voice Edition + Cross Edition - Mint Adenade, Dhaos (Time Stop)
- Tales of Phantasia (GBA) + Mobile - Mint Adenade (Time Stop); Plume Dhaos
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon - Priestess costume, Kruelle, Dragon Gold
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X - Mint Adenade
- Tales of Symphonia (PS2 / PS3 / PC) - Yggdrasill, Mithos, Abyssion, Meredy (Time Stop)
- Tales of the Abyss - Nebilim, Mint Adnade (Time Stop)
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Cutscene: Mint Adenade (Time Stop)
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - Skilled Swordsman costume, Onmitsu costume, Dancing Princess costume, Dhaos costume, Mint Adenade
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Dancer costume, Mint Adenade, Dhaos
- Tales of VS. - Mint Adenade
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Mint Adenade, Yggdrasill
- Tales of Link - Mint Adenade; Skill: Yggdrasill (Time Stop)
- Tales of the Rays - Nebilim
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX) (Absolute Zero): ?
- Tales of Phantasia (GBA) (Kajitani-Eizan): Time Stop
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (Kajitani-Eizan): Time Stop
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (Kajitani-Eizan): Time Stop
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Phantasia (GBA)
Japanese Description: 敵の行動を一定時間止める
Romanized Description: Teki no koudou wo ichijou jikan tomeru
Localized Description: "Stop enemy from acting for a short time."
Tales of Symphonia
Japanese Quote: 神の慈悲をくれてやろう！
Romanized Quote: Kami no jihi wo kurete yarou!
Translated Quote: "Let me give you the mercy of god!"
Localized Quote: "A god shows no mercy!"
Japanese Quote: 格が違うんだよ！
Romanized Quote: Kaku ga chigaundayo!
Translated Quote: "Our statuses are different!"
Localized Quote: "You don't stand a chance!"
Japanese Quote: みんな、いけぇ！
Romanized Quote: Minna, ikee!
Translated Quote: "Everybody, go!"
Japanese Quote: 真の力を見せてやろう！
Romanized Quote: Shin no chikara wo misete yarou!
Translated Quote: "Let me show you true power!"
Tales of the Abyss
User: Mint Adenade
Japanese Quote: 恨まないでくださいね。タイムストップ！
Romanized Quote: Uramanaidekudasai ne. Taimusutoppu!
Localized Quote: "Please don't hate me... Time Stop!"
Japanese Quote: 時よ、凍結せよ！タイムストップ！
Romanized Quote: Tokiyo, touketsu seyo! Taimusutoppu!
Translated Quote: "Time, freeze! Time Stop!"
Localized Quote: "Make the instant eternal! Time Stop!"
Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X
Japanese Quote: これ以上…させません! 時を統べる神の御技を…今此処に…! タイムストップ!!
Romanized Quote: Kore ijou...sasemasen! Toki wo suberu kami no miwaza wo... ima koko ni! Taimusutoppu!!
Translated Quote: "Beyond this... I won't allow it! Time that controls the works of god... now here! Time Stop!"
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3
User: Mint Adnade
Japanese Quote: これ以上させません! 時を統べる神の御技、今此処に! タイムストップ!!
Romanized Quote: Kore ijou sasemasen! Toki wo suberu kami no miwaza, ima koko ni! Taimusutoppu!!
Translated Quote: "Beyond this, I won't allow it! Time that controls the works of god, now here! Time Stop!"
Japanese Quote: 痛みすら感じぬよう終わらせてくれよう！時をも統べる神の力、見るがいい！タイムストップ！
Romanized Quote: Itami sura kanjinu you owara sete kureyou! Toki wo mo suberu kami no chikara, miru ga ii! Taimusutoppu!
Translated Quote: "As long as you feel pain I will finish you! Power of the god who controls time, view this as acceptable! Time Stop!"
Tales of VS.
Japanese Quote: 使いたくなかった！ 時を統べる神の御技を,今此処に！ タイムストップ！
Romanized Quote: Tsukaitakunakatta! Toki wo suberu kami no miwaza wo, ima koko ni! Taimusutoppu!!
Translated Quote: "I didn't want to use this! Time that controls the works of god, now here! Time Stop!"
- ↑ Tales of Phantasia (GBA) FAQ/Walkthrough by sonicfreak77 GameFAQs (2007) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.