- This article is about the recurring Wind-elemental spell. For the Swordsman arte formerly localized as "Wind Blade", see Hurricane Thrust. For the Wind armatus arte, see Wind Blade (Wind Armatus).
Arte Description and History
The first version of this spell in Tales of Eternia simply involved the enemy being cut by two blades of wind. In Tales of Symphonia, it was modified to show a group of small wind blades that surround the enemy for a couple of seconds. This became the most typical and recognizable animation for the spell.
In Tales of Innocence, the spell was changed drastically, now sending out three wind blades like projectiles toward the enemy. This is meant to mirror Aqua Edge and Fire Ball, which traditionally had the same kind of projectile effect. The wind blades will shoot toward the location of the enemy when the spell itself was cast, so it could miss the enemy if it moves to the side, or if it is launched into the air by other characters. It was changed again in Tales of Vesperia, where now one single wind blade slashes any enemies in its path. This spell affects only a short distance from the caster, and its range cannot be extended, so it is used best as part of a melee attack combo.
Wind Blade becomes a melee arte in Tales of Xillia and Tales of Xillia 2. Milla has three versions depending on which of her Wind-elemental spirit artes she alters with her "Spirit Shift" special ability. The novice version is a quick slash of wind. The intermediate version adds a second slash that takes Milla into the air, while the advanced version adds a small column of wind afterward. Both Maxwell and the Golden Mage Knight - Creator use artes based on Milla's advanced version. Jude Mathis's version alters from his Demon Fist and Double Demon Fist, with the first allowing him to punch out a slash of wind, while a second is summoned by a follow-up kick. It also has a spell version used by enemy mages, where it is essentially a renamed Wind Lance and launches a blade of wind.
- Tales of Eternia - Wind Craymel Arte: Keele Zeibel, Sylph, Sekundes, Shizel, Nereid, Valkyrie (Wind Blade)
- Tales of Symphonia - Genis Sage, Kratos Aurion, Zelos Wilder, Sephie, Fairess, Windmaster, Wind Element, Sorcerer, Sorceress, Exbone (Wind Blade)
- Tales of Innocence - Spada Belforma
- Tales of Innocence R - Illia Animi, Kongwai Tao, Thitose, Hisui, Merman, Spirit, High Cult Mage
- Tales of Vesperia (X360) - Raven, Schwann, Droite, Magic Bat, Witch, Knight Bishop (Wind Blade)
- Tales of Vesperia (PS3) + Definitive Edition - Raven, Schwann, Droite, Magic Bat, Witch, Knight Bishop, Captain Bat Jr., General Bat Jr. (Wind Blade); Risky Cast: Patty Fleur (Wind Blade)
- Tales of Hearts - Kohaku Hearts, Hisui Hearts, Kunzite, Incarose, Lithia Cattleya, Love Dianthus
- Tales of Hearts R - Kohaku Hearts, Hisui Hearts, Kunzite, Officier, Gargoyle, Campanula (Wind Blade)
- Tales of Xillia - Milla Maxwell, Jude Mathis, Maxwell, Golden Mage Knight - Creator, Rashugal Spiritcorps Channeler, Rashugal Spiritcorps Deserter (Wind Blade)
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Milla/Milla Maxwell, Jude Mathis, Maxwell, Rashugal Spiritcorps Deserter (Wind Blade)
- Tales of Berseria - Wyvern, Firewing Serpent, Kylvern (Wind Blade)
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Wizard/Witch costume, Wind Mage costume, Thunder Mage costume, Spy costume, Tabigeinin costume, Valkyrie, Keele Zeibel
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Wizard/Witch costume, Valkyrie, Thanatos, Genis Sage
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Mage class, Bishop class, Genis Sage, Kratos Aurion (Wind Blade)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Mage class, Genis Sage, Keele Zeibel, Zelos Wilder, Spada Belforma
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Mage class, Bishop class, Keele Zeibel, Genis Sage, Zelos Wilder, Spada Belforma, Raven, Kohaku Hearts, Hisui Hearts
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Genis Sage, Zelos Wilder (Wind Blade)
- Tales of VS. - Kratos Aurion, Kohaku Hearts
- Tales of the World: Reve Unitia - Milla Maxwell, Raven, Zelos Wilder, Rahu Necria
- Tales of the World: Tactics Union - Zelos Wilder, Spada Belforma, Raven, Kohaku Hearts, Milla Maxwell
- Tales of Link - Arche Klein, Milla Maxwell, Zelos, Hisui (Wind Blade)
- Tales of the Rays - Mileena Weiss, Keele Zeibel, Zelos Wilder, Raven, Milla Maxwell (Wind Blade), Hisui Hearts
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (Kajitani-Eizan): Wind Blade
- Tales of Innocence (Absolute Zero): Wind Blade
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Eternia
Localized Description: "Shear the enemy with a blast of wind. Wind Arte."
Tales of Symphonia
Localized Description: "Novice (wind): create blades of wind around the target."
Tales of Vesperia
Japanese Quote: 風よ起これ、サッと吹いてサッと斬れ！ウィンドカッター！
Romanized Quote: Kaze yo okore, satto fui te satto kire! Uindokattaa!
Translated Quote: "Make it happen wind, quickly blow 'em away and quickly cut 'em down! Wind Cutter!"
Localized Quote: "Come on, wind, knock 'em around and cut 'em down! Wind Blade!"
Japanese Shortened Quote: アタゥァァック！ウィンドカッター！
Romanized Shortened Quote: Ataaakku! Uindokattaa!
Translated Shortened Quote: "Attaaack! Wind Cutter!"
Localized Shortened Quote: "Attaaaaack! Wind Blade!"
Japanese Quote: 風よ斬り刻め！ウィンドカッター！
Romanized Quote: Kaze yo kirikizame! Uindokattaa!
Translated Quote: "Wind, Slice them to bits! Wind Cutter!"
Localized Quote: "Come, O wind, and cut them down! Wind Blade!"
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Localized Description: "Magic: Conjure blades of wind around an enemy."
Tales of the Rays
Localized Description: "An arte that attacks foes with blades of wind."
- ↑ Tales of Destiny II (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough Part 1/2 by Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Symphonia (GC) Technique FAQ by DarthMarth GameFAQs (2005) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Vesperia (X360) FAQ/Walkthrough by drachemeister GameFAQs (2008) Retrieved on 2009-06-20.
- ↑ Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology: Character/Class FAQ by Lynkiko GameFAQS (2007) Retrieved on 2012-10-31.